Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Jul 1996 23:01:00 -0900
From:         rsthj@aurora.alaska.edu (Thomas Johnson)
Subject:      Re: Heads/GEX SAGA

This is a good point and I truly hope that the power of the Internet has Larry and others shaking in their boots. However, why should I go out of my way to tell seven friends that I got the product and it performed as advertised? In order for a customer to talk bad OR good of a company, they need to receive non-standard service. MOFOCO sent me a shipment of bad parts once. I sent them back along with a written explanation of the problems (used parts sold as new, rebuilt parts that were out of specs, etc.) and gave them a second chance. They blew that second chance as well a third and fourth. As a result, I don't deal with MOFOCO and loudly encourage others to do likewise. RMMW messed up on a $.95 gasket once. When I called them, they were professional and apologetic and made the order right with no fuss. They also sent me a written apology as well as two of their VW coffee mugs. I now sing their praises. GEX's replacing heads while out of warranty is a great example of excellent customer service but I suspect an ulterior motive. Would GEX have replaced these heads if there were not 300+ potential customers watching? Honestly Larry, would you have? If they only make the occasional mistake and acknowledge it when they do, the "Information Age" will not be a threat to their business, rather, it will be an asset. However, I've found that with GEX, mistakes seem to be the norm. Of the three GEX engines I've installed here is the score:

'73 squareback: Basically a good motor. When its 300mi valve adjustment came up I discovered the rocker arms were filthy and the adjustment nuts were rounded off. Clearly they had not been disassembled for cleaning and inspection

'73 bus. GEX sent the wrong engine. Sent a '74 (not enough holes in its head). RUDELY told me to send it back for exchange (any one care to guess how much it costs to send an engine to and from Alaska?) I scrounged the parts from a 74 and made it work. Also had stripped exhaust studs and a mashed and leaking (not due to shipping) valve cover. It ran well though. It made it to California and as far as I've heard it is still doing well.

'76 bus balanced 2.0L w/hyd lifters. Ran wonderfully. Smoooooth, quiet and powerful. Lost all four exhaust seats in about 1100 miles. Courteously covered under warranty.

Mostly these were minor problems but all are inexcusable. GEX's sole business is building VW engines and after having built tens of thousands of them they should get it right. If they would pay more attention to detail they could sell a first rate product but it has been my experience that they let flaws go unnoticed and, because of this, they are a company that I'd rather not deal with.

>> In the last 4 or 5 months since I've been following the lists there have >> been about 3 or 4 problems that people have had with GEX products and I have >> resolved each one. In that amount of time GEX has sold over 1500 engines >> and 3000 heads. Where are these people ?? They must have received what >> they expected. It is important that we keep a balanced perspective. >>

Ok, where are they (besides not on the net)? Anybody out there have a GEX engine they are delighted with? Speak up.

-Tom