Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 1996 07:29:35 -0700
From:         tjparker@pacificnet.net (Tim Parker)
Subject:      Re: Reply to: Was EV slap, Now electricals, HELP!

At 1:37 PM 7/30/96, sean bartnik wrote: > Tim, > Sounds like on your most recent brake problem that the brakes were just >wet from driving thru that puddle. No worries, but in the future dry off >your brakes by lightly applying pedal pressure after driving thru high >water.

Sean:

I'm going to assume that this was the case, but I went slow through the mud, and the water didn't get above the inside edge of the rims (high mud line was there). Can't figure it any other way, and haven't been able to repeat it... yet.

> > The other brake incident sounds kinda freaky.

Sure as sh*t stinks! Again, can't repeat it, and actually hope I never do!

> > With ABS, the ABS is only activated when you really jam on the brakes. >You will feel the pedal pulsing as the computer pumps your brakes for you. >I wouldn't think a malfunctioning abs system would do anything to your >brakes except not come on when it was supposed to.

I've had call to feel the magic of the pulsing brake pedal a couple of times. Weird, but it wasn't like the other sensation, which was more felt more like an empty brake reservoir - no resistance at all, all the way to the floor.

Everybody:

Thanques to all for the great suggestions, and the inspiration to figure this thing out rather than bail right away (can't afford that anyway). Just wish I had time like in the good old days to work on cars again. Too much going on. I'm definitely going to try the electrical connection tests you all described. That seems to be my best hope.

-Tim