Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 May 1996 12:33:10 -0700
From:         John Wakefield <JWakefield@4dmg.net>
Subject:      Re: LED Flashlight Info

Jeff Carver wrote:

> The FlashLED line of aluminum-bodied, water-resistant flashlights > uses light-emitting diodes instead of an incandescant bulb. Options > include red, yellow, green, blue, and IR LED's of several wavelengths > each.

Now for what I expect would be the most common end user preferred illumination, a white approximation, It seems that the next step is learning some sourcing, prices and part numbers. Then if we get the appropriate drive ratio circuitry worked out, running lots of interior lights would become much less draining on batteries. I'm a little concerned about the efficiency claims, but I understand it's a cloudy issue. Even if and LEDa converted 100% of their eletrical flow to light, which they don't, some of the ratios I've seen don't stand up. That is unless you introduce the cloud factor: Human eye sensitivity to different radiant "noise." A powerfully persuasive argument for this was demonstrated to me by someone recently at night while I was riding in a large motorhome. They produced from their pocket one of those double AAA battery powered red laser pencil lights. They're common for around $30 or so these days. He started shining it on objects ahead up to what I'd guess was half a mile. If he hit a safety reflector way off in the distance, it appeared as brightly illuminated as if it had a large wattage bulb inside it. This goofy light show went on for quite a while until someone finally intervened. At least he kept his beam from other vehicles. So the apparent brightness vs. actual meter measured light output is what I call the cloud factor preventing straight forward resolution. Any thoughts or information on this LED white light approximation issue?

John Wakefield