Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:50:04 -0400
From:         Drew Jenkins <eolian@ids.net>
Subject:      My Syncro Locking Diff is Possessed

I don't know if other Syncronauts have had this experience, but... my rear locking diff is *POSSESSED*! <Add your appropriate eerie sound here :-)>

Symptoms: For no apparent reason, the locking diff will activate. The LED indicator will turn on and the rear is locked. There is no correlation with the speed of the vehicle nor with whether the vehicle is turning. Sometimes it will stay active for 10 seconds and then go off. Other times it will activate for for more than 5 minutes.

Playing with the switch has no affect. This afternoon my wife was driving and it activated a couple miles from home. She drove into the driveway and waited for me to get home. Four hours later I started it and it was still activated, even though the switch was in the off position. During my short drive around the block, it activated and deactivated four times.

I need to exorcise the demon out of this Syncro. Short of calling a priest, does anyone have any *serious* suggestions on what may be the problem?

(I know this is the vanagon list and some levity is expected, but this is a *real* problem. It can't be driven until I get this fixed.)

I am posting from my private ISP account. I don't subscribe to vanagon@lenti from this account so please reply either to the list or to my daytime account: djenkins@foxboro.com.

Thanks for any info.

Drew Jenkins 86 Syncro djenkins@foxboro.com