Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jul 1996 15:31:39 EDT
From:         Michael Klepikov <klm@BLAZE.CS.JHU.EDU>

Hi, Volks,

The Passat mailing list I promised a few days ago, is now up and running. The list is dedicated to discussions about VW Passat of all years and models. Non-Passat postings are ok as long as they are related to Passat (say, something about VR6).

To subscribe, send a message to:

majordomo@blaze.cs.jhu.edu

with the body (subject is ignored):

subscribe passat end

For a complete list of majordomo commands, send a line "help" in the body of a message to majordomo. You can use multiple commands in one message.

A complete description of the list follows:

Subscription is open, and messages are not moderated.

Archives of this list are not currently available.

There is currently no digest option.

majordomo@blaze.cs.jhu.edu

* Send submissions to the list to:

passat@blaze.cs.jhu.edu ------------------------------------

Please do not post messages about other VWs, unless they are also related to the Passat.

Rude or off-topic messages are not welcome, and abusers will be unsubscribed.

If your e-mail address causes too many delivery problems, resulting in error messages being sent to the list, the address may also be removed from the list.

Please follow netiquette when using the list. You can find a description of what netiquette is at:

http://www.revealed.net/IRWeb/INM/netiquette.html#email

Here are some of the most important points, IMHO:

Keep your questions and comments relevant to the focus of the discussion group.

Resist the temptation to "flame" others on the list.

Remember that these discussions are "public" and meant for constructive exchanges. Treat the others on the list as you would want them to treat you.

When posting a question to the discussion group, request that responses be directed to you personally. Post a summary or answer to your question to the group.

If you can respond to someone else's question, do so through email. Twenty people answering the same question on a large list can fill your mailbox (and those of everyone else on the list) quickly.

When replying to a message posted to a discussion group, check the address to be certain it's going to the intended location (person or group).

When signing up for a list, save your subscription confirmation letter for reference.

Occasionally subscribers to the list who are not familiar with proper netiquette will submit requests to SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE directly to the list itself. Be tolerant of this activity, and possibly provide some useful advice as opposed to being critical.

Be careful when using sarcasm and humor. Without face to face communications your joke may be viewed as criticism.

When quoting another person, edit out whatever isn't directly applicable to your reply. Including the entire article will annoy those reading it.

Abbreviate when possible:

Examples:

IMHO = in my humble/honest opinion FYI = for your information BTW = by the way Flame = antagonistic criticism :-) = happy face for humor