Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 1996 07:44:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@calweb.com>
Subject:      Cool VW story

Last night, Hwy 50 in Sacramento was the place to be for busses.

I'm cruising along, when I see a bus on the side of the road with the engine lid up. I pull over, and start walking back to their bus.

Cool element #1: the bus's passenger manifest consisted almost entirely of girls ages 18-20, in varying stages of not-very-dressed. About 5 of them. The males amongst them were the usual slackers, who apparently had no mechanical knowledge, but appeared to be very talented at growing hair.

Cool element #2: the bus's owner comes up to my bus, and says "Cool! A '56? I have a '53 Deluxe!" Which just about froze me in my tracks. "YOU have a '53 Deluxe? A Barndoor Deluxe?" Yup.

Anyway, they'd broken a fan belt, had a spare, but no tools except for a large screwdriver, so I grabbed the appropriate stuff from my bus. Just then another friend of mine pulled up, and I guess he actually knew these people, as I guess they called him to bail them out.

Cool element #3: So he climbs down there and does all the dirty work (the belt was wrapped around the crank pulley, so the apron and rear tin had to come off to get it out) while I chat with this girl about her busses. Which consisted of: '53 Deluxe (LHD) '60 15-window, '64 kombi (the one she was driving), '65 21-window, and a '65 notchback.

Yes, I did get her number. In fact, this was one of the few times I got a girls phone number and cash didn't change hands first...

Then after I left, I see the Bus Farmers going the other way, coming back from their camping trip. It was a moment.

Thom -- > DYNAMIC LINKING ERROR: Your mistake is now everywhere. Thom Fitzpatrick thom@calweb.com - http://www.calweb.com/~thom Keeper of the Barndoor Bus Page: http://www.calweb.com/~thom/barndoor.html