Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 03 Jul 1996 22:23:52 -0400
From:         dworkin@ari.net (H Steven Dolan)
Subject:      Re: Rubber elbow connecting filler neck and gas tank

At 12:31 AM 7/4/96 -0500, BusBoys@aol.com wrote: >Glen Buhlman writes: > >>We tried BusBoys today and they had the rubber boot at the top of the filler >>neck (that part going to The Bug Shop in Vancouver is for me by the way Jim) >but not this elbow. > >Hi Glen - >Your's is not the first request for this item, we've had a ton of 'em. And >of course, every used one we've found as well has cracks forming on it as, >which would be expected after 15 to 24 years of use and exposure. <snip> >BTW this hose fits 72-79's.

Jim, Glen,

>From my experience in switching the '79 FI tank into the '73 non-FI body, the filled neck *on the tank* is in the same place, but the filler on the body changed between those years. The '79 had the filler perpendicular to and flush with the body, the '73 has the filler behind a door and vertical. I don't think the same hose will fit both applications. Also, as I said to Glen in a private post previously, while I have not (yet) experienced this cracking problem firsthand, I looked at my hoses with a previous series of "gas fume" posts in mind, and decided that, if it became a problem for me that I would try the following:

Remove filler tube and clean it;

Get a tube of the "25-year" silicon caulk and squeeze a big messy handfull onto my hand;

Have someone hand me the tube;

Work that caulk all over the outer surface and into the cracks.

Has anyone else considered this? Tried it? Did it work?

H Steven Dolan Alexandria, VA

'73 FI'ed Westy