Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jul 1996 14:26:30 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Rubber elbow connecting filler neck and gas tank

H. Steve Dolan writes:

>From my experience in switching the '79 FI tank into the '73 non-FI body, >the filled neck *on the tank* is in the same place, but the filler on the >body changed between those years. The '79 had the filler perpendicular to >and flush with the body, the '73 has the filler behind a door and vertical. >I don't think the same hose will fit both applications.

You're right about the different filler necks. 74-79's had an "elbow" shaped filler extension (211-201-135H) coming down from the upper filler elbow (211-201-139 or 139A [Restrictor for unleaded gas]) and in theory (as shown in both 72-73 & 74-79 diagrams on the microfiche) the bottom of the extension elbow is supposed to terminate at approximately the same spot as the 72-73 filler, so that the 211-201-125D hose is to be used for all those applications. But in practice, that's not usually the case. Went back thru my archive of ancient microfiche's and printed factory catalogs to see if there had been a "division" of part numbers vis a vis 72-73 and 74-79, but they continued to list only one replacement part number for the 72-79 production period. Speaking from experience, it's a pain in the butt to replace the hose no matter what year it is.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com