Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jul 1996 03:20:18 -0400
From:         vdubluv@age.net (Ron & Nat Carscadden)
Subject:      '74 carburation expertise required

I have recently installed a rebuilt 1700 angine in our '74 Westy. I have replaced the vacuum distributor with a 009 unit and have also installed an extractor exhaust system, with straight pipes replacing the heater boxes. That's the background.

I decide to rebuild the carbs prior to running any distance, to be nice to the rebuilt engine and all. So I tore down the carbs and replaced gaskets, cleaned everything etc. Then I proceeded to adjust the carbs per the Bentley manual, with further input from the Idiot book. I ran into trouble right away with the Uni-syn I bought in that I can't get the little red ball to move at all regardless of how I adjust the centre piece in the guage. I don't understand this and require help.

I decided to give up on this after trying a few different ideas to get the guage to work, and moved on to adjusting the idle and mixture.

I followed the steps to adjust the carb in the Bentley book, but the step including the cut off jets on each carb didn't work out as I thought it would.

The story goes on and ultimately the engine would idle at a fairly steady 850 rpm but it sounds rough at idle and on acceleration and somtimes pops at both idle and when the rpms are decreasing. What I need is some person(s) who have some experience that they would be willing to share with me in guiding me through the adjustment procedure and the fine tuning with jets etc. I am currently running the stock 137.5 main jet with 175 air correction jet in each carb. The Bently book calls for the air correction jet to be 155 in the 1700 engine.

Some questions:

1) What should be required in terms of jetting with the current set up I have? Should I be using a larger main jet? larger air correction jet? or one smaller and the other larger? to accommodate the increased flow from the exhaust system?

2) Is there something I'm doing wrong when I use the Uni-Syn?

3) Is there anyone out there who has specific knowledge with these carbs and setting them up for better performance?

Thanks a lot for whatever help you can provide

Regards,

Ron & Natalie Carscadden Sudbury, Ontario, Canada '74 VW Westfalia