Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 04 Jul 1996 17:14:07 -0600
From:         Dieter Dworkin Muller <dworkin@village.org>
Subject:      Gerbil engine replacement, part II

: Our story so far: : : After five years of making a misadjusted valve noise that couldn't be : adjusted out, the Gerbil ('66 camper with a '71 engine of unknown : parentage) ate a piston (see : http://www.village.org/villagers/dworkin/gerbil.html; eventually the : full story with pictures, right now it's just some shots of the : piston). Rebuilding from scratch was deemed impractical due to time : constraints, so a long block from Scat was ordered. : : The old engine has been stripped of all the relevant-looking bits : that don't come with a long block. We ended with the burning : question of whether or not the pulley's woodruff key is one of : those bits, as it is difficult to remove.

Today's episode:

The new engine has a woodruff key installed for the pulley. This is a good thing.

Got the old engine down off of the work table, and the new engine up on it instead. I then proceeded to spend multiple hours trying to figure out how the various non-long-block bits go on.

The first confusion is the dual-port intake manifold from Scat. It comes in five pieces: two end-pieces that bolt to the heads, two heat riser tubes, and one center piece that connects all the others and the carburetor. It all makes a fair amount of sense except for a couple of minor nits. Nit the first is the threaded hole in the left side of the tube that goes up to the carb. I thought it might be for an electro-magnetic cutoff valve, but that mounts onto the carb itself. So, I need to find something to fill that hole with. Nit the second is how to get the heat riser tubes firmly attached to the center piece. It's chromed iron, they're something brass-like. There aren't any seals to fit between them, and relying on a friction seems wrong. Scat did include the seals that go between the center and end pieces, so if such a thing is supposed to be used, I'd expect to find it.

In the interest of getting back on the road, I pirated the center piece from one of the two carcasses. I don't like doing this, because that engine should just need some tweaking to get it running. The true carcass, the one that ate the piston, was a single-port, so it can't be a donor in this situation.

Next I turned to figuring out how to mount the thermostat, oil cooler, etc. This was made much more difficult than it needed to be by the fact that none of the studs had ever actually had nuts threaded onto them. Combine this with the nuts that I was using off of the carcasses, and you get the situation where it is almost impossible to thread the nuts onto the studs. I played around with the tap&die set, making sure everything was to spec, but it didn't help.

I managed to convince myself that the mounting stud for the thermostat is 9mm (14mm if measuring by wrench size), which was truly frustrating, since nothing else is that size, and thus there aren't any nuts like that nesting in the parts box. I bailed on the thermostat, and proceed to mounting the oil cooler.

Surprise, surprise, the oil cooler studs are behaving pretty much the same way as the thermostat stud. I pull a nut off of the old engine's oil cooler mount, and it really doesn't want to go on. Visual inspection leads me to believe that it should, however, so I take a socket and see what I can get it to do. Lo and behold, it goes on, albeit reluctantly. Pulling it back off shows shiny threads on both nut and stud, but neither looks like it's actually been re-threaded. Fine, says I, and proceed to bolt down the doghouse cooler adaptor (remembering the seals!). Amusing data point: Scat included a complete engine gasket kit, plus the oil cooler had a set of oil seals (the cooler comes with the engine as part of the package). I've got a lot of oil seals running around....

Next it's time to put the oil cooler onto the adaptor. The first problem I notice is that there is no depression in the cooler for the seals. This makes it seem like it's designed to leak. I suppose I can always pull it and reseat things if I need to. At least the adaptor has depressions for the seals. The second problem is that you can't get the doghouse cooler onto the adaptor, if the latter has already been mounted onto engine. *sigh* Unmount the adaptor, bolt the cooler to it (trying to get the seals lined up right), and remount the adaptor (don't forget to check those seals again).

At this point, I have to conclude that the various studs that came in the engine were slightly oversize, with the intention that the wear that occurs when the various nuts are put on helps to hold them in place. It's an interesting theory, but hardly one I'd like to count on myself.

Given the experience with the oil cooler, I try to persuade one of my 13mm-headed bolts to fit onto the thermostat mount stud. I must be getting better at it, as it goes on this time (not without a struggle). Cool. I take the thermostat, bracket, and control rod I got from Recycle Auto Parts, chase appropriate spots with the tap&die to clear off the rust, and put it together. I'm not completely convinced that the rod won't hang up where it goes through the head, but I have to break out the propane torch for testing that (I don't own a hair dryer), so that can wait for a bit; at least until I'm ready to put on the cooling tin.

The above took about three hours. I am convinced that most problems that come up while trying to solve a problem (particularly mechanical ones) result from tiredness, impatience, or ignorance. I am purposely taking my time, applying logic to each situation. If I find myself getting impatient or frustrated, I turn to another part of the job, or take a break (given the local weather conditions, avoiding dehydration is definitely in order). The whole thing's going to take longer, but I suspect I'm going to get hurt less, and the engine will be more correctly assembled this way.

It's time to feed the out-of-town friends' cats, and then start on the fuel pump and distributor. The distributor drive gear ought to be interesting....

Dworkin