Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Jul 1996 21:06:03 +0000
From:         sw@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Re: 83' Worries Me

> Hey Volks, > Well, the server was down again so I was listless for a week. Sad. > But your all back again...and there was much rejoicing. > So over the long weekend I ventured many many km from home with a > couple freinds in search of some good camping. We decided to go west, as > usual since east doesnt offer to many options, and ended up near Jasper. > The highway ride was fine on the way there, although I did suck up > alot more fuel due to the fact I was carrying alot of water in the tank, 3 > big guys, and a helluva alot o' gear. Where I started to worry bout the van > was after I had driven a good 70 hard km down a forestry road. It started > making a distinctive 'squeek' up at the front end. I had just installed new > brakes pads a day before, but it wasnt a brake sound, it was a wheel > turning sound (for lack of a better turn). A freind suggested that it may > be a bearing thats gone the way of the do-do, or maybe just some cruds in a > bad place. Any suggestions????? > The second day we decided to go to another camp ground, since the > people who we were meeting there were unable to get a site, and buddies > girlfreind was whiney as hell. So much to my shagrin I was forced to drive > back out the "hell road", west another 100km, and then 60km down ANOTHER > forestry road. So by this time the squeek had me going absolutely insane, > and since Ive gotten back I havent been able to diagnose it since Ive been > moving into my new pad, and am still waiting for my Bentely. > So if you know what this may be please help me.

My '88 makes a loud squeak when hitting bumps on logging roads, but this is apparently a common suspension noise. You say yours is a 'rotating' type noise? Does it occur on smooth roads, or is it related to suspension travel? Sounds like a different noise, but just a thought...

============================== Shawn Wright, sw@smus.bc.ca '85 Jetta TD, 348k (Jenni) '88 Westy, 331k (Kyra) ==============================