Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jul 1996 11:01:06 -0700
From:         jgindhart@ucsd.edu (Joe Gindhart)
Subject:      help, clutch cable replacement, '66 Kombi

Hi. First, I would like to thank those of you who helped solve my previous problems. I had a rubber hose running from my air cleaner to an opening on the upper right of the fan shroud. The results of my inquiry are that the hose on the bottom of my air cleaner is the carburetor pre-heat hose (which I probably don't need in San Diego), and that the opening on the top of the fan shroud is supposed to be connected to the gas fume coffee can-thingy (which I lack). Someone proposed that the connection of the fan shroud tube to the air cleaner was a "poor-man's turbo" designed to increase air flow to the carburetor at higher rpms. However, I didn't notice any change in performance after disconnecting it. I finally resolved this problem by plugging the hole in the fan shroud with some dense rubber foam, and plugging the carburetor pre-heat hose hole in the rear engine tin with the bottom of a Pepsi[TM] can and a couple machine screws.

Yesterday, on the way to Independence Day festivities, my clutch cabe broke. Luckily, this was only about a mile from home, so I was able to limp back to get the backup car. I plan on replacing it this weekend. I have a few questions: Which components, as a matter of course, should I be sure to replace besides the clutch cable? Should I clean out the clutch cable tube, and how should I do it? Finally, my clutch cable tube is open in the front; that is, there is no grommet/cap/rubber seal on it. Is this ok, or am I missing a part that belongs there? As is, it seems that a lot of road grime would collect in the tube. Thanks in advance,

Joe Gindhart '66 Kombi San Diego, CA