Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jul 96 18:13:40 PDT
From:         copley@healthcare.ubc.ca (Tobin Copley)
Subject:      VW Buses to the Arctic 2 weeks away!

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've made a posting to the vanagon list about the upcoming "Top of the World Tour" to Inuvik in the Canadian arctic, so here's the skinny:

My partner Christa and I are organizing a trip for VW bus owners to the northern-most point one can drive to in Canada: Inuvik, Northwest Territories, at the north end of the unpaved Dempster Highway. Until just last year (I think it was last year), the Dempster was the northern-most public road in North America. (Then they opened the romantically-named Dalton Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay, AK--which follows the scenic ;-) Alaska Pipeline--to public traffic, but it will still only get you about 100 miles further north than the Dempster will).

Driving the Dempster Highway is widely regarded as one of the greatest road trips in North America, if not the world. Over 750 km long, it is unpaved for its entire length, crosses two major rivers by either ferry or ice bridge (depending on season), and traverses the arctic circle, the Pacific/Arctic continental divide, rugged mountains, vast plains of arctic tundra, and some of the most remote country many of us will ever see in our lifetimes.

Participants in the Tour will be coming from places as far away as Puerto Rico, Indiana, Southern California, Texas, and Ontario. It is my suspicion that Puerto Rico plates are somewhat uncommon in Inuvik. The tour will officially start in Vancouver, B.C. From there to Inuvik and back, we will deliberately choose to take the roads less travelled--and many of them are unpaved. In fact, nearly 3,000 km of our trip will be driven on a complete absence of asphalt-like surfaces.

And we will have time to smell the wildflowers. The days will be long that far north, so we can poke along all day stopping where ever we like for a stretch, or a view, or to catch some fish, without worrying about running out of daylight.

The trip to Inuvik and back from Vancouver is scheduled to take 23 days, and will cover nearly 8,500 kilometres. Aside from Christa and me, who drove their 1976 westy 15,000 miles in a 3 month circumnavigation of North America last year, who would be crazy enough to do a trip like this for their "vacation"? You might be surprised. Twelve buses will be rolling out of Vancouver in convoy early on the morning of July 22nd, pointing their noses northward to innumerable mountain ranges and the aurora borialis. More will be joining up with us along the way. By the time we cross the wooden one-lane bridge at the start of the 770 km unpaved Demptster Highway, 17 buses will be bouncing over the washboard surface toward the vast plains of the MacKenzie River delta.

Yes, we'll bring our cameras. In fact, many trekkers will be bring laptops, some with *digital* cameras. We hope to post daily (or near daily) dispatches and photos to both the vanagon list and to the trip's web site at http://www.chaco.com/inuvik. If you want to learn more about the trip, check out the extensive information resources compiled on the trip's web site. Once the trip is underway, our progress will be documented at this www site, so follow along with us!

Ron Lussier has done an incredible job building the site and using it to develop PR for the trip. VW Germany has the Inuvik trip site listed as the #1 personal VW page on the official VW of Germany Home Page.

All the fun officially starts at my place in downtown Vancouver on Sunday night, July 21st. I expect we'll have a bit of a party. Any vanagon list members who might like to meet other list members "in real life" are welcome to come for the send-off soiree. Email me for my address, or call me at home at (604) 689-2660. Some folks are arriving a day of two early, so we may have a practice party Saturday night.

Two weeks to go, then northward ho!

Tobin

--------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin T. Copley copley@healthcare.ubc.ca Dept. of Health Care and Epidemiology Voice: (604) 822-6219 University of British Columbia Fax: (604) 822-4994 Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6T 1Z3