Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 05 Jul 1996 23:59:48 -0600
From:         Dieter Dworkin Muller <dworkin@village.org>
Subject:      Gerbil engine replacement, part III

This morning started with the intention of putting on the fuel pump, generator stand, and distributor before breaking for lunch. As with everything else in this project, it didn't quite work out that way.

First, I checked the torque on all the case studs. The big ones were all spot-on, but the small ones across the top were all relatively loose. I suspect this means I misunderstood the torque page. It says the case studs are at 25 ft-lb, and all other bolts (modulo noted exceptions) are at 14 ft-lb. The probable disagreement is what constitutes a case stud. I claim it's everything that holds the case together. I suspect they just meant the large ones. Nothing stripped in the process of tightening the top studs, so at this point, it's best to let dead dogs lie.

Spent a while with the carburetor cleaner, getting the generator stand relatively oil-free. Then I got to play around with the make-shift gasket scraper otherwise known as a razor blade. You have to be careful with this sort of thing, because it's easy to shave off metal along with the gasket. Since I ended up with some real shiny spots, I know I did. Thus, I made a point of smearing a thin layer of gasket cement (Permatex #2, from Loc-Tite) between all four mating surfaces: case to paper gasket, gasket to metal vent thing, vent thing to paper gasket, gasket to generator stand. A little bit oozed out around the edges, but I'm pretty sure I won't be getting any oil leaks from there. Also did my best to get the torque (14 ft-lb) right on mounting studs. This, as with all of the nuts/bolts I'm trying to torque, is being made awkward by the high degree of difficulty involved in getting the torque wrench into place. I've got to find one of those crows-foot open-end adaptors.

Next came the fuel pump. Since I had a new one, I figured I'd use it instead of the old one. No good reason, as I have no reason to believe the old one leaked, but since the engine's new, might as well go with as much new stuff as possible. Clean up the plastic spacer/ guide block, permatex around all the gasket surfaces, and put it into place. Next, clean up the pump push rod, and drop it in. That sure seems to be a long way down in there....

Try turning the engine over a bit, and the rod just sits there. Hmmm. You know, there's this funny looking shoulder on the distributor drive shaft that looks like it would probably move that rod, if'n it was installed first. Fortunately, the push rod is magnetic and relatively light, so it's not that hard to fish out.

Find TDC for cylinder one, and install the distributor drive shaft. It's awfully reluctant to go in, but a bit of grease does wonders. Of course, removing the plastic guide for the fuel pump push rod helps, too. Unfortunately, the drive shaft is rotated about 45 degrees from where it should be. After trying to get it out and turned to the right orientation for twenty or thirty minutes, I figure it'll be easier just to note where the new #1 firing position is, and leave it.

Now it's time to put the fuel pump on. Put on the guide tube, then drop the push rod in, and it sits up like it's supposed to. Great. Attempt to fit the new pump on. This fails miserably, because the lever arm that the push rod acts against is much lower than on the old pump. To use it will require bending that lever. That seems a little drastic at the moment, so I grab the old pump, clean it up (getting quite a bit of gasoline everywhere -- you'd think it'd all have evaporated out in the two weeks it's been sitting disconnected), and install it. Lots more permatex, of course. The old engine had a perennial oil leakage around the fuel pump, which I'm doing my best to make sure doesn't happen again.

I'm getting a little cranky, so break for lunch. The distributor will still be there when I get back.

After lunch, tear apart the distributor, replacing the points and condensor with the compu-fire electronic ignition unit. It goes in pretty easily, but I'm not really comfortable with leaving the condensor mount screw hole open. I'll probably end up covering it with some electrical tape or some such. Put a bit of grease on the distributor shaft, and put it onto the engine. Since it's turned around from where #1 should be, put a marker on the #1 firing position on the cap so it'll be easier to remember when I install the plug wires.

By now, it looks like I still have to do:

- pulley - thermostat vanes and linkage - cooling tin - exhaust system - heater boxes - clutch - generator - installation

Plus all the things I plan on doing to the body before installing the engine. Since it looks like I can't really do a whole lot more without first installing some tin, off I go to unwrap the new bits I've got, and clean up the old ones that I'll be re-using. Once again, carburetor cleaner works really well for this sort of thing, with much less effort required than with Simple Green or the like.

After the tin that goes behind the pulley (and putting it on, as well), things got interesting. The Bug-Pack under-tin that I got from Rocky Mountain Motor Works looked really pretty, but fit very poorly. Most of the curves were wrong, and the ridges didn't line up for the two sections that go on the right side. Yet another reason to be careful when buying things made in Taiwan. In any case, judicious application of pliers, a knee, and the like got it all to fit. I'm a little concerned about the fact that some of it is effectively spring- loaded now, though.

The chromed over-tin from Scat was almost as bad. It over-hung all four of the exhaust ports, but not by much. Again, a pair of pliers worked wonders. I couldn't use the old over-tin, as the dead engine had single ports, and the new one has dual intake ports.

Break for dinner, and get caught in the rain. Since I'm on the motorcycle, this is somewhat distressing.

When I get back, rather than go crash, I figure I'll try to dry out in the garage for a bit, and put the heater boxes and exhaust on. It's a new extractor from Scat. Given my experiences with the various exhaust systems I've gotten from RMMW, I figure this'll take care of the next few hours, and leave me good and irritated. Fortunately, I was wrong. It went on just exactly like exhausts are supposed to. The asbestos rings for the heater boxes were a bit of a pain, but not seriously so. The biggest problem was getting the feeder tubes for the heater boxes lined up. Since I have heavy-duty compression clamps, I just got them pointed at each other as best I could, and tightened the clamps as far as they'd go. It looks like they're pretty much air-tight now. They're certainly light-tight.

At this point, I'd have to say that it's worth avoiding the Dansk exhaust systems. They're a lot more work than they're worth (particularly if you have to pay someone to reweld the flanges, like I did). Get an extractor that plays well with heater boxes, and you're set. Of course, I haven't heard what this system sounds like yet....

Tomorrow starts with the clutch.

Dworkin