Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 06 Jul 1996 11:56:53 -0400
From:         JonR <jonr@empire.net>
Subject:      Rescue (non-VW content)...kinda long....

Sorry Listees... Absolutely no VW content...

Last night when my wife stopped at a local Chinese place for take-out she overheard a young girl trying to communicate with one of the cashiers... neither this young lady or the cashier was fluent in English... jist of the matter was this young girl was from Russia on her way to work the summer at a local Camp for disabled kids... she had gotten off at the wrong stop... and wanted to use the phone to call her Camp Director... cashier said Solly no can do Long-distance... the young girl was close to tears when my wife stepped in...

Seems that the outfit who hired her was in CA, she has just traveled 10,000 miles to land in NY City on July 4th... with the instructions" find your way by the cheapest means of transportation to YWCA where we have booked a room for you, then on July 5th proceed by Bus to Boston, then to Manchester NH..."

well, at this point my wife found out that the next bus to Manchester was 2 hours later and the girl was going to have to wait outside as the bus office was closing...(this in a not so great part of town)... wife brought her home, we introduced her to Chinese food and got her in touch with the Camp. As it was only 15-20 minutes away we told the Camp Director we would bring her up in a bit after dinner...

The Camp director told her that they had been very concerned because they had been told that the girl would be arriving the day before... when she didn't arrive they got kinda frantic...

What Kind of Outfit here in the States would Hold a competition ( she was one of a dozen students selected out of over 1000) then take the best and brightest and treat them so shabbily... she wasn't even informed that the particular Camp she was going to as a counselor was for Developmentally Disabled adults... when we pulled up to the Camp she was shocked to see Retarded Adult men and women campers... told us that this was not what she was led to believe... My wife and I were Outraged!! my wife then got the address and phone# of the recruiter who got this young lady here, and Blasted Him but good...

This young lady was lucky, she could as well been mugged or killed ie: The german tourists in FL... she has our phone # and address, hopefully things will work out for her... I plan on a follow up letter to this recruiters' Employers as well as letters to the State Dept protesting this kind of treatment...

Sorry for ranting, but I had to vent...

JonR

Father of a 17 year daughter and appalled at the treatment this girl recieved...