Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat,  6 Jul 1996 17:02:12, -0500
From:         TVCR50A@prodigy.com ( MICHAEL G BENTHIN)
Subject:      Re hot solenoid not kicking

Subject: Re: trip report starter problem

Sean (via Linda Bartnik) had a starter (solenoid) problem when hot.....

So you liked King's Dominion? If we go to Manassas Bug-Out Labor Day, might check it out. The starting gremlins I have also, and I suspect it has something to do with either ignition switch dead spot (at RARE times I turn off key and it still runs- any experts out there on THAT?) or more likely sticking plunger in solenoid- I too put in new starter last year, but after a long Hot run, may not start- I've found it helps to rev it up before killing ignition, then while still spinning (out of gear, clutch in) kick the start on ignition- you can hear the solenoid try if the extra juice makes it go. Otherwise, if I'm not on a hill, I get underneath with my trusting 14g wire with alligator clips on each end and attach one end to the pull-off connector on the solenoid (red wire goes to it), and touch the other end to the HOT terminal from batter to starter- it should try to kick over. Another method that works on this gremlin (and I've helped others who are amazed) is to beat on the solenoid/starter with a hammer and it goes! I still think it's some sort of hang-up in the solenoid, like sticking plunger; heat might swell it and it sticks worse? The direct jolt (where relay would help) makes the relectant plunger go; beating on it helps free it? Mike Benthin in NJ

-------- Original message header follows -------- >From MAILER-DAEMON@lenti.med.umn.edu Wed Jul 03 09:49:51 1996 [PIM 3.2-030.47] Received: from mhub0.tc.umn.edu (0@mhub0.tc.umn.edu [128.101.131.50]) by pimaia1w.prodigy.com (8.6.10/8.6.9) with SMTP id JAA26780 for <TVCR50A@prodigy.com>; Thu, 4 Jul 1996 09:50:58 -0400 Received: from lenti.med.umn.edu by mhub0.tc.umn.edu; Thu, 4 Jul 96 08:50:56 -0500