Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jul 1996 23:20:40 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 83 Sink's 12V water pump

In regards to John Wakefield's question on self-priming, the outside-the-tank water pump is installed so that it is at or near the same level as the bottom of the water tank, so that there is always water going into the pump, even when off (of course when there's water in the tank). Still, the rule of thumb is to monitor the water level in the tank (open the cabinet door on 74-79's or look at the LED panel [if it works] on the 80-91's) to prevent your pump from running dry.

On the sticker coming with the replacement OE immersible pump, it is flow rated at 3.3 gallons per minute or 198 gallons per hour. Other trivial items on the sticker are 12 Volts @ 2.4 Amps. Since I am at home, I don't have a outside-the-tank pump to give you specs.

In fairness to Bill Protzek (bprotzek@cdsnet.net), I myself would probably look around to save $$ and would have probably bought the Wal-Mart brand for my Westy if the case presented itself, but the PO had brand new one sitting in one of the cabinets, so the point is moot at least in my personal case. I guess there's not much difference between 300GPH and 198GPH when ya turn the faucet on.

But as a business that has to abide by rules of warranty and to offer the best quality replacements, I'm often constrained to go with, stock and sell as close to OE specifications for as fair and low priced as possible. And most of our world-wide customer base expects (and demands) as close to OE as possible, whatever the product, based on the phone calls Bill & I get everyday. I have accepted for years in the business, long before coming to Bus Boys that there is the 5% out there who want something for as close to the lowest dollar possible. Hell, I'm part of that 5% and it is applied whenever possible in our purchasing, limited to the rules I've just written.

A good example of this are the Swing Lever Center Pins used on Buses through 1967 on the front beam. This connects the Drag Link from the Steering Box to the Tie Rods. We sell only FEBI/Bilstein German Kits with new bushings, hardware and pin and current price is about $45 to $50 depending on who you go through and what the current dollar/mark exchange rate is at the time (I'm sure there are outfits that are giving these away too for less). There's an outfit in Brazil making an almost identical kit that could sell for about half that price. Some places out there I know sell them. I ordered one in from the local warehouse to check it out. Remember I said almost identical? Well the pin is machined exactly .001" larger than the original. Which means if you use the specified reamer tool in the workshop manual on the new bushings (after installing them), it will be off by that much when trying to inserting the pin - IT DON'T FIT. Otherwise, a damn fine quality looking item (I've got a Brazil Kit sitting on my desk in the office to remind me). Note: They do not make one for the 68-79's, so only German available in these.

And I will be the first person to tell another buy it elsewhere if it's for that much less, but only if the quality and expected longevity meets or exceeds OE specs for what Volkswagen and/or Westfalia originally required.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com