Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jul 1996 15:12:33 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      Further adventures of Ras Bulli Split [Part the fourth].

[At the end of this installment of "The further adventures of Ras Bulli Split" is a plea to the list community for parts needed to get things going...some of these parts are easy to find and I know that I can order them from BusBoys, WCM or WW...however others I have not been able to locate in any parts catalogues... I am hoping that someone will have parts for sale/trade]

Hello out there all you brick pushers, breadloaf babies, and Vanagonauts:

It has bee sometime since we last checked in on our fearless duo [..no this is not a story about a moose and a squirrel], and since then...well...not much has gone on. Ras Bulli has spent the better part of six weeks kicking back with his tyres up while his suspension as been disassembled in such as manner as to break as few components as possible ;-) This was also the opportunity to renew the entire braking system [which turned out to be more of an exercise in "replacing" rather than "renewing"...needless to say, I can now write cheques with the speed and precision of an Olympic medallist].

The highlight of recent events included a tiring three round wrestling match with the rear axle nuts [of which you have probably heard enough by now...so I will spare you from reading the tail yet again]. I was also able to locate a three-finger puller of sufficient proportion as to tackle the rear brake drums [it will be arriving in the next couple of days]...originally used to pull drum-heads from marine cargo wenches, it should scare those drums off in no time :-).

This weekend has been spent doing those "little things" that tend to accumulate in number until a complete day can be spent putting around. This morning I disassembled the windshield wiper assembly and discovered that the wiper "shaft and crank" for the passenger side had seized in its guide tube and sheared off. I also had the dubious pleasure of draining yesterdays downpour from the passenger side headlight assembly [which is now a slimy, rusty treat inside].

Today's little treat was the "horn which hasn't worked since I have had the Bus. I was planning to pull the horn off the Thing for the purpose of passing this year's inspection and in the process of removing the old bus horn decided to blow it out with the compressor just "to see". I then hooked it to the pos. terminal of the batter and intermittently grounded the other terminal...after a few "clickity-clicks", my head was almost taken off by a sound that could nearest be described as a 'moose in rutting season'. Hey, inspection doesn't require that the horn be "polite", just that it make sufficient noise...and that it does! So, for the first time, Ras Split has a fully functioning horn :-)

Inspection is the end of the month and provided that "they" do not insist on seat-belts, we will be ready...more or less.

However, there are a few things that are needed before I can do any amount of 'transporting':

1) New seals for headlight and front turnsignal assemblies...I also need those little rubber "nibs" that go inside the headlight assemblies to cushion the sealed beam and adjusters. I was hoping to put this off until after the body work and painting was done...but I am growing tired of draining the headlights after every rain...plus I do not need anymore rust...I already have my share.

2) New turnsignal/high beam assembly ... I have cleaned and re-soldered the connections in my current turnsignal lever. The turn signals work fine, however toggling between high/low beam requires "jiggling" the switch until the desired setting is achieved.

3) New "crank and shaft" and possibly "guide tube" for the passenger-side windshield wiper. I haven't been able to extract the broken shaft from the tube ... it is currently "soaking" in penetrating oil.

4) New engine seal gasket [whatever it is called]. This is the big gasket that goes between the engine tin and the floor of the engine compartment to keep all that nasty hot air out.

5) Air-cleaner and duct that attaches to the carb. --trust I, these things do not bounce very well, no enjoy falling off the back of a truck :-(...

Non-essential items [I am still looking for the following]:

6) Sun visors and mounting brackets...PO had removed the originals to put in another Bus.

7) Front overriders ... the complete assembly. I have managed to locate a set of rear overriders.

8) windshield washer bottle and pump .... anyone want to part with one of these?

9) I need the rubber seals that go where the clutch/brake/accelerator pedals come through the floor of the van...the local VW dealer couldn't find them...does anyone still make these?

10) I am also looking for a dual chamber master cylinder. Where Ras Bulli Split is mostly a '66 Westy [the rear end...engine compartment, etc is from a '67 deluxe and the electrical is 12v], I only have a single chamber master cylinder that I am just waiting for it to start leaking [it's never been rebuilt]

All sought after parts are for a '66 Kombi/Westy that is part '67 ...as mentioned above...12v electrical, and some '67 body parts...ie I have two chassis numbers...the PO had registered the bus as a '67 based upon the number in the engine space.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated...Hey the sooner i get this thing going...the greater are the chances of my "mug" ending up on your doorstoop ;-)

Bugs & Things & Bricks...Oh, my!

Roy

-- Roy Nicholl Atlantic Systems Group Phone: (506) 453-3505 Incutech Centre Fax: (506) 453-5004 B/S 69000 E-Mail: Roy.Nicholl@ASG.unb.ca Fredericton, NB Canada E3B 6C2