Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jul 1996 19:07:17 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      Re: Nominations for 10 Best cars

This note is in response to your gathering votes/nominations for the 10 "best" cars for the 100th anniversary of the automobile. In this context, I will interprete "best" to be a measurement of contribution to the automobile industry --either technically or in spreading the use of the automobile as a means transportation worldwide.

Given this interpretation of the criteria, and the fact that I would hate for this to turn into a "Detroit horn-blowing session", I would like to nominate the vehicle that has the following milestones under its belt:

1) Largest single model production of all time. 2) Longest production run of all time [1946 to present] 3) If those two are not enough, it is also the vehicle with the geographical distribution of any model of car; it can be found on every continent [save perhaps Antarctica] and in most countries.

By now, I am sure that you are aware that I am describing the Volkswagen Beetle. The Beetle gets my vote as the "Best" car of all time. I would even place it ahead of the Ford Model-A in its importance to the global success of the automobile; it is definitely "The Peoples Car".

Two other highly influential Volkswagens are:

A) The Volkswagen Transporter [Micro Bus, Van, Vanagon]. Despite the overly advertised claims of Chrysler, this was the first "Mini-Van"; and with much more character.

B) The Volkswagen Golf GTI (Mk I/II/III). The Golf in general was a very influential car and has a huge global presence. The Golf GTI, known as the Rabbit GTI in the US, was the original "pocket rocket" sports hatchback and was the premier of its class. So influential was the GTI, that it spurred American and Japanese automakers to start building their own sporty hatchbacks: Honda Civic Si, Plymouth Horizon, Ford's pinto/bobcat. Despite all the new competition, the GTI is still best in its class.

Alas, ten is not a large number, and if no one is to feel left out, then I can see that including all three VWs in the top ten may be a source of some controversy. The Beetle is a given as number one, feel free to pick either of the Transporter or Golf for inclusion in the top ten, either one will get my vote.

BTW: I am in no way associated with Volkswagen. I have just seen more Beetles, Transporters, and Golfs in service during my worldly travels than any other make.

Roy

-- Roy Nicholl Atlantic Systems Group Phone: (506) 453-3505 Incutech Centre Fax: (506) 453-5004 B/S 69000 E-Mail: Roy.Nicholl@ASG.unb.ca Fredericton, NB Canada E3B 6C2