Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 07 Jul 1996 22:13:26 -0700
From:         M Kelly <mkelly@voyager.net>
Subject:      westy canvas

I need a replacement canvas (one or three window) for an '85 Westfalia.

I'm working on an '85 Westfalia that has been sitting for nearly two years. Aside from the typical mechanical problems, which are in remarkably good condition, I've spent a tremendous amount of time repairing mouse damage. It is absolutely amazing the destruction that mice can do to an automobile!

This van must have been a five-star mouse hotel. They stripped the insulation from the front ceiling and dragged it, via fresh air ducts and under the pop-top, to the rear and into the AC compartment and the canvas. The AC blower was packed with insulation and mouse crap, and the entire van smells horrible. The canvas now has about a half-dozen fist sized holes, including some through the front screen and zipper.

I've managed to strip the entire van, clean the miles of duct work, and deoderize as much as I can. However, the canvas is beyond repair. Does anyone know where I can get a new canvas? I found a canvas in a JC Whitney catalog (I've never bought anything from their though) for $350. Is this good? Are these quality canvases?

Thanx for the help!

Michael K.