Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 07 Jul 96 21:04:59 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: oil

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996 17:02:31 -0500 you said: >Asked about Kendall oil @ the FLAPS, they pointed out >an additioned rating beyond was Castrol had. They >also pointed out the same rating on the house brand >oil, which they said was Valvoline. >Any difference? Should I stick with Castrol? Is Kendall >worth the money?

it's my considered opinion that oil is like soda pop: it's a personal taste. :) my brother hates Castrol (claims it accelerates wear on the cams); i, on the other hand, have had good luck with Castrol 30W and 20W50 ... over ten years on my old 71 bus. :)

on the other hand, i did change to Kendall 20W50 on the advice of a porsche mechanic who did some personal testing: he put several oils and greases into a muffin pan and stuck it in the oven in his kitchen. turned up the temp to whatever the max is on them things (400F??) and waited a couple of hours. he claims that Kendall was the only oil that wasn't burnt black ... so that's all he'll use in his own porsche and what he puts into his customers' cars. do i believe him? yeah ... cause his wife divorced him not long after that.

so i started using Kendall back in about 1981 or so, changed from Castrol. now, in my 80 bus at that time, i had an oil temp gauge. when i changed the oil, i noticed that the temp was lower... about 15C lower!!! and all i had done was change the oil. i didn't believe it. but it stayed that way. i never had the guts to put the Castrol back in to see if it would go up again. :)

am i still using Kendall? yeah. would i use Castrol? yeah. would i use Valvoline? yeah.

i think it is more important how often you change your oil, rather than the brand that you use. pick a nationally-known brand of "good reputation" (that is, i wouldn't use Bubba's Recycled Motor Oil and Salad Dressing!!), and change it often (i suggest 2500 miles). as long as the oil is certified as API/SG/SH or higher, i think you'd be ok.

what about Mobil 1 and the other "synthetics"?? well ... for the money, i think you'd be better off changing more often with dino-oil. i used to get my oil analysed by a laboratory, and the viscosity would change from 30W to 46W in only 3000 miles. besides, it's not JUST the lubricating ability of the oil that you change: there are contaminants from the combustion process that make their way into the oil, and unburned fuel (from blowby, compression leaks around the rings, which is normal; and it's especially problematic in diesels), and crud from the air filtration system. all this stays in your engine until you change the oil. me? i'd rather get it all out as quickly as possible and as often as i can afford.

so why not change every 1000 miles?? 1500? 2000? good question. here we come back to the original problem: personal opinion. :) i picked 2500 because it fit better into the "recommended" 7500 mile oil change interval in the owner's manual. 2000 miles would undoubtedly be "better", according to my logic. and really, it would mean only that you'd change oil five times (instead of four) every 10,000 miles. maybe on my next bus ... :)

so ... is Kendall worth the extra money?? well ... yeah. to me. i like it. i've had really good luck with it. but other people use Havoline, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and many other well-known brands with equally good success.

so what's the answer?? well, to me, it's "change the oil and filter often". period. use the best oil you can find/afford/like/steal/borrow.

but i don't necessarily agree that one particular brand is "better" than another. i happen to like Pepsi-Cola, but other people like Coca-Cola just as much. big deal. Miller Lite versus Bud Lite. same thing. your choice. :)

joel