Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 07 May 1996 01:14:15 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      JCW  over windshield shelf-83 Westie

In recent J C Whitney catalogs, an approximately $49 full width over-windshield shelf is offered. It's designed to be mounted in the space used by sun visors and, in the Vanagon Westie, the rear view mirror. I recently encounterd one brand new at a yard sale. For a dollar, I couldn't resist. It's fabricated of aluminum stock, bent up for its length in front and at the rear of the shelf. This configuration makes it surprisingly rigid. All surfaces have "flocking" applied in your color choice. This flocking feels about like thin nap velour fabric. Two end brackets are included which required minor final fit bending. Installation into my '83 Westie took me approximately 90 minutes, and I was being slow and carful in examining alternatives. I removed the original sun visors and the rear view mirror. I mounted the shelf to the brackets for a trial fit and to mark the planned screw locations for pilot hole drilling. I suggest being careful to avoid letting the shelf touch the windshield to avoid noises. After mounting it, I decided I'd prefer to use an available interior color matching pair of 84 Oldsmobile sun visors with their original Olds center support clip into which these visors' brackets fit. The visors fit nicely in the shelf's original visor mounting holes. The center support requires drilling. Their distance apart was such that their support rods could both fit into the center support clip. The final change required restoring a rear view mirror. I decided to reuse the original. I did this by carefully cutting off the aluminum support bracket's end projection and carefully filing this end to a flat surface. Then I drilled two small holes into this end surface sized suitalbly for thread tapping. After these holes were tapped and filled with machine screws, two carefully measured holes were cut into the center of the shelf just forward of the center visor support clip. Top side access to these screws required use of a short 90 degree angle screw driver. The result is a very satisfactory storage space with a confinement lip at its front and rear. It appears temptingly like a place to mount some normal electronic toys. I assumed that I would need to add a center stabilizing bracket to control rear view mirror vibration. This appears unnecessary. I feel the appearence and product character integrate nicely into the Westfalia. It doesn't appear cheap nor ill conceived, and it does add utility. I feel the price seems a little high but a home grown immitation is unlikely to be as nice.

Respectfully submitted, John Wakefield