Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 08 Jul 96 10:31:00 PST
From:         "jeff lorentzen" <jeff_lorentzen@ccmail.adventure.com>
Subject:      Re: '74 rough running

I can agree with the comment below. I had been having problems with my 74 Thing, rough idling etc. and because I had recently put on a Jacob's ignition system and after finding an exhaust leak though I'd fixed everything. Driving home that night everything suddenly went to hell. Rough erratic running, etc.

I spent weeks changing back one thing at a time thinking the Jacob's system had gone bad. Then trying other things. I didn't want to give up but finally got tired of no progress an took it to a shop I've had good luck with. Turns out the left side dual carb had a slight leak at the manifold gasket (tip: I had tried to check for this myself by flooding the area with carb cleaner. The mechanic used slight sprays of starter fluid and listened carefully. While doing this it started to run a bit better. He said after one or two shots, the spray will soften the gasket and seal a minor leak, which will come back later.)

On the right carb he found the base of the carb was warped and sucking air at the carb/manifold gasket. Also a tiny bit of rubber from the gas hose had clogged the #2 main jet. I hadn't checked for this because before this last round of problems I had had the carb on and off about 10 times trying to correct plugged idle jetting. I was SURE that carb was clean <grin>. I was reaching the point of being sick of looking at the car which finally got me to take it in.

$150 bucks but it runs fine now and I can get on to that front end rebuild. Another nice thing is the shop has test equipment beyond what most home shops have. He did a power balance test and I know that 3 cylinders match, #2 has only 90% of the others. He told me it may be simply the valves on that cylinder need readjusting, plan to check that also. If they are adjusted fine I know to keep and eye on that cylinder.

Jeff

To: vanagon @ lenti.med.umn.edu at Internet@ccMail cc: (bcc: Jeff Lorentzen/TECH/KNOW) Subject: Re: '74 rough running

New Text Item: Text Item

So Craig Standley says:

> > Any advice is appreciated. One thing I have gotten out of this is a ton

Sometimes, it's better to throw in the towel on certain things when the amount of time invested is returning very little. I took my '74 in to get the carbs adjusted and $90 later my van was happy, I was happy and my wife was happy. Not a bad investment for $90. I had previously spent many hours fiddling with the setup with no change in performance.

So don't feel bad about chosing this option Craig.....