Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 96 11:10:57 PDT
From:         stafford@newport26.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      '78 heater box ducting to rear bumper

The heater boxes on my '78 engine are supposed to have flexible ducting to 2" metal pipes that end just beneath the rear bumper. When the heater is on, the flap direct warm air to the cockpit and when off, the warm air goes out the pipes under the rear bumper.

Without the flexible duct on the driver's side, the heated air will blow on a fuel line connected to the electric fuel pump. :-(

I attached some 2" dia. flexible aluminum heater duct and hose clamps. Since it gets almost as hot as exhaust I did not use the paper covered type for fear of fire. They deteriorated and split within a few weeks. So I set out to find a suitable replacement.

At a local marine hardware store I found 2" i.d. wire reinforced rubber hose. It's used on inboard boat engine exhaust pipes to route the exhaust thru the transom. That solution should solve the problem once and for all. It cost about $9 per foot.

I'm not sure if that heater box plumbing is common to all late model air-cooled transporters or not. If VW designed in this system to get the heat out I thought I might as well hook it up the right way. Just what kind of flexible hose was on there from the factory I wonder?

Jack '73 Westfalia ('78 engine) Costa Mesa, CA