Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 1996 11:45:16 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Oil temp data, sender adaptors, (long)

Volks, Sean's got his oil temp sender in and wonders about reasonable oil temperatures. I've been reading the Corrado list as well as this one and the good ol' boys there routinely report 220-240 in their waterpumpers- at a recent gathering, temps as high as 300 were spotted during 'racing' conditions. It seems reasonable to compare values measured in common units in a similar application. I see 210-230 degree F oil temps in my Corrado all the time. One of these days I'll get MY oil temp sender installed and have type II data to compare.

Bob Hoover suggests an adaptor that replaces the plug which "closes off the drilled passage that supplies oil from the sump to the oil pump inlet." This is specific to upright engines, but would certainly be a neater solution than the sump plate location.

He thoughtfully adds: "J. C. Whitney provides an adapter that matches the threads of the slotted plug (13-xx-9267-A, $4). The adapter is internally threaded to accept the standard oil temperature sender (12-xx-6195-Y, $8) that matches their electric oil temperature gauge (12-xx-6193-T, $17)."

This doesn't tell me whether it works with the VDO sender (and gauge) I already bought... guess I might as well order the adaptor and find out!

Here's some actual data relating to oil temp from our past which I've saved for reference, edited:

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 95 14:04:22 PDT From: Dave Kautz <dkautz@hpsidms1.sid.hp.com> [snip] According to one of the technical reps. at Pennzoil, 180 degrees F is too cold. The explanation for this is that some oil contaminants <acids and the like> need to be heated to near the boiling point of water to be moved along. According to these folks, oil should be 210 to 230 degrees F.

I am not, however, going to suggest that everyone who has lower oil temps go out and raise them. 180F seems to be a common temperature for healthy type 1 engines. It is probably a good idea to change one's oil frequently to remove contaminants that may accumulate but most folks do this anyway since stock type I engines don't have an oil filter either.

Stock type IV engines appear to have a "normal" oil temperature that's higher, up around 210F. This shouldn't be too much of a mystery since the air flaps thermostat is also 30 degrees higher <190F vs. 160F>. The type IV engine was designed 30 or so years later than the type I and motor oil had improved a lot in the meantime. [snip]

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 22:29:23 -0700 From: rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)

Well, finally got my oil temp sender in - luckily on the 2L engines they fit right into the drain plug - no need to drill a hole in the plate. 15 minute test ride showed that with head temp @ 500F my oil temp was barely over 210F. So I guess that's good. I wish the gauge had a mark at 225F or something - but 230F is straight up on it so I guess that's easy enough to see. (Maybe I'll put some red dots on each gauge so the passenger can warn me in case I'm too busy driving to notice.)

Date: 17 Jul 1995 15:22:42 -0800 From: "Wagner Michael" <Wagner.Michael.MM7@macmail1.nb.rockwell.com>

I am glad you get the same kind of reading as me with a Single port 1600 in a 70 westy. When it gets real hit (over 90) and I am on the freeway it always runs just over 250.

I'm in a '76 Westy and if the temp gets over 230, I'm lookin' for a shady spot to rest for a while... last year I took it down south to the beach, got the oil light on AS I coasted into a parking space: zero oil! walked to the market and bought several quarts. Runnin' a little hot that day, I guess... had it brought closer to spec @ the mechanic, now it runs below 200 (knock wood) and we're both happy... Michael

Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 21:55:51 +0600 From: anon869@vt.edu (Christopher Bridge)

I made my own gauge, and I put the upper limit at 250. I have never had the opportunity to run over 200.

I think that it should be noted that it seems that T4 engines always run hotter than the T1's. If my 1600 went to over 220, I'd be real concerned. My personal opinion is that heat comes from poorly built engines. Bad line-bores and unbalanced parts don't help either. I wonder if anyone has ever really tested the VDO gauge to see if it's accurate. I sat by the stove and simply went 20 deg. increments and marked the scale. I know it's right.

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 95 08:36:10 EST From: "ray hale" <ray.hale@santafe.cc.fl.us>

when my bus was running (& it will again SOON) my oil temp gauge read right around 180, except when stuck in traffic for any length of time when it would go to 210 or so. almost never to 250 (scary). this was a 1600 SP in a '66 kombi in central florida (no cool ocean breeze) 90+F. the trick was installing a deep sump pan years ago. it lowered the temp by 20-30 degrees. no fooling. will use this sump on my new motor when it arrives (SOON, i tell you). ray gainesville, fl