Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Aug 1995 12:59:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>

[snip] We left the city behind us, and turned onto Hwy 175 for Veracruz. Almost immediately, we started climbing. The road narrowed, and I shifted down to 3rd, then to 2nd. The road started to twist sharply, and I had to slow waaay down for curves that forced me to lean far forward in my seat so I could look through the passenger side window to sight through the curves. At this speed, I fell of the power curve for second gear, so we were climbing in 1st gear. At times, I was unable to get back up the second gear for the straight sections, because we'd lose too much momentum in the shift. Our oil temperature gauge, which had been sitting around 235, was climbing: 240... 250... 260... 270... 275! 280!!! [snip] When we hit the flats between the mountains and the Gulf of Mexico, I was unable to decide which was more oppressive: the heat or the humidity. I decided it was a non-issue. I had sweat dripping off my wrists, nose, and chin, and the air felt hot going into my lungs. Our camper liked the flats better than the mountains, I think, but its oil temperature still hovered around 255 degrees. [snip]

Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 01:42:06 -0700 From: rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)

Well, I got back from the WA coast last weekend. All gauges work fine, and it gives me more to think about as I'm driving. Climbing one sees head and oil temperatures climbing right with you! Never too excessive though.

Cruising along for an hour or so at 55-60 mph I see the head stabilized at 500F, oil at 210F. But when I stop, or have to slow down for awhile going through town - the head temp drops to 350-400F but the damn oil shoots up to 230F! Best strategy in this case seems to be to simply shut it down, as simply revving the engine didn't seem to help any. Got to have air flowing past that oil cooler I guess!

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 22:01:27 -0700 (PDT) From: "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>

Max. outside temp: Real hot (90+ and very humid) Min. outside temp: -40 (C or F) Max. oil temp: 290 F Usual oil temp: 225 F at 60-70 F/235-245 at 80+ F high humidity Oil changes: 5

Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 11:08:01 -0600 (MDT) From: Jared Roy <royjm@resort.brecknet.com>

I recently put in an external oil cooler and replaced a piece of missing engine tin. The van was running around 230-250 oil temps. Temp guage is a VDO temp on the sump. But now with the oil cooler and replaced tin it is running around 160-190. Are these too cool? I am running 20w50 for oil. Should I try 10-40 or 10-30 to get the temps back up? Or should I be happy that the temps are so low. I have heard that too cool oil temps are hard on the engine. Jared 82 Vanagon

Happy motoring! Bill