Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 1996 12:27:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:         jgindhart@popmail.ucsd.edu (joe gindhart)
Subject:      Re: Further adventures of Ras Bulli Split [Part the fourth].

>Today's little treat was the "horn which hasn't worked since I have >had the Bus. I was planning to pull the horn off the Thing for the >purpose of passing this year's inspection and in the process of >removing the old bus horn decided to blow it out with the compressor >just "to see". I then hooked it to the pos. terminal of the batter >and intermittently grounded the other terminal...after a few >"clickity-clicks", my head was almost taken off by a sound that could >nearest be described as a 'moose in rutting season'. Hey, inspection >doesn't require that the horn be "polite", just that it make >sufficient noise...and that it does! So, for the first time, Ras >Split has a fully functioning horn :-) >

Excellent! My bus has a dual air horn put on by a PO. It puts out 120 decibels, easily. It definitely gets people's attention, although I worry that someone will be so surprised that they will run off the road after they pull out in front of me.

>Inspection is the end of the month and provided that "they" do not >insist on seat-belts, we will be ready...more or less. >

I put shoulder belts in my '66 Bus. I salvaged them from a '72 or '73, and attached it where the coat hanger on the pillar used to be. I feel a little safer that way, especially after reading Muir's description of how driving a bus is like being an aztec god strapped to the front (or something like that).

>However, there are a few things that are needed before I can do any >amount of 'transporting': > >1) New seals for headlight and front turnsignal assemblies...I also >need those little rubber "nibs" that go inside the headlight >assemblies to cushion the sealed beam and adjusters. I was hoping to >put this off until after the body work and painting was done...but I >am growing tired of draining the headlights after every rain...plus I >do not need anymore rust...I already have my share.

WCM has the headlight seals, but I don't think they have the turn signal seals. I've toyed with the idea of using 1/4" rubber tubing instead. It would do the same job, and look ok, too, if you hid the ends somehow.

>4) New engine seal gasket [whatever it is called]. This is the big >gasket that goes between the engine tin and the floor of the engine >compartment to keep all that nasty hot air out. > I got one from a salvage yard. Maybe 69-71 seals would work, too.

>5) Air-cleaner and duct that attaches to the carb. --trust I, these >things do not bounce very well, no enjoy falling off the back of a >truck :-(...

My PO had an EMPI air filter that sat directly on top of the carb. He said it improved performance, but I wanted to pass the smog test, so I hooked up my oil bath filter. Still have the EMPI filter if you are interested in it.

> >6) Sun visors and mounting brackets...PO had removed the originals to >put in another Bus. >

A VW salvage yard in Vista, CA has them for $11-$14, depending on its condition. I don't know their name offhand, but I could find out about it.

>8) windshield washer bottle and pump .... anyone want to part with >one of these? > Get me one, too. ; ) >9) I need the rubber seals that go where the clutch/brake/accelerator >pedals come through the floor of the van...the local VW dealer >couldn't find them...does anyone still make these? > I got these from WCM. The brake and clutch seals are VW parts, but the accelerator seal is repro. They are less than $5.

Good luck.

Joe Gindhart '66 Kombi San Diego, CA