Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 1996 15:18:39 MST
From:         "Jacob Shaun Dustin" <DUSTINO@caedm.et.byu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Karma shmarma. '71 bus Backfiring & stranded

I think I've swallowed a valve. Let me explain.

My bus is on my bad list right now. Last sunday I pulled over to help a guy with a '70 camper who was broken down on the side of I-15 just outside of Brigham City, UT. I couldn't help him much (I wasn't carrying a spare engine, and his was thoroughly seized), but I offered him a ride into town. My bus wouldn't start. Karma Shmarma. After a tow to get it off the freeway, several hours of troubleshooting, a new distributor, a new fuel pump, and a lot of frustration, I traced the problem to an intermittent short in my backup light circuit that was sucking all my power from the coil. It would only show up when I used the starter. manualy turning the engine produced a spark, so it was a bugger to find. I think the vibration from the starter was causing it to short under the car somewhere. Anyhow, I pulled the wire off the coil and problem #1 dissappeared. I was on my way home.

Two miles down the road, there was a horrendous bang. I killed the engine, and pulled over, praying that I wasn't on fire. My sister, who was following me in her 225,000 mile Subaru (why couldn't VW build a watercooled boxer like that???) said she saw flames, big flames, shoot out the tailpipes. I'm thinking one of my new ( < 5000miles) GEX heads swallowed a valve, but I'm hoping someone on the list can offer a more optimistic appraisal.

I can't afford to be dealing with this sort of thing right now. If it is a valve, I'll be selling the whole thing for parts, and buying somthing I can depend on. I drive slow, change my oil every thousand miles, run my valves at .006, don't lug the engine, and love the idea of keeping my old bus on the road, but this is the wrong time for this to happen. Any suggestions on a probable cause. If I could just go out and look at it, I would be able to tell if it was a valve for sure, but the bus is in Ogden, and I'm 100 miles south in Provo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! --Shaun Dustin

--Shaun