Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jul 1996 17:35:30 -0700
From:         Dennis Gentry <dennis@cpac.washington.edu>
Subject:      Replacing Air-cooled Vanagon Engine

Hi,

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my '80 westy that had the engine severely damaged by a tow truck driver.

A couple of helpful people wrote back and suggested mainly a) get a lawyer, and b) buy an engine instead of rebuilding, so you can make it in time for the Inuvik trip.

OK, I did both. It'll still take a long time to get any money out of the towing company, but I now believe it will happen (since I will be filing a lawsuit within a couple of days here, and since I will likely win that lawsuit).

I'm buying the engine from Mark Stephens in Tehachapi, CA. They will guarantee no dropped valve seats, which is what the previous major service was for about 10k miles ago. They say they can get an engine here by Friday.

Yesterday, I pulled the old engine from the Vanagon. While removing ground wires, I discovered bits of case. "Hey, this wire isn't supposed to be attached to a loose bolt. . . uh, with case fragments still attached."

So I don't think I'll to pay to ship the engine back for the core which I mostly won't get back anyway. Maybe I'll send just the heads and flywheel, since I imagine the case, crank, and at least the one rod that must have hit the case are all unusable now. Or maybe I'll take my time later and use these parts to build a nice stock 2 liter engine for emissions purposes.

Anyway, according to Tom Wilson's Rebuilding book, I should get an air-cooled VW engine stand. The trouble is, I can't find one on the San Francisco Peninsula. Do any of you know a place to find a stand? Donnsco VW in Redwood City can order me one from L.A., and I'll take them up on that tomorrow at noon if I don't find any quicker options. I guess I could get a generic stand and try to modify it...

So far, it's been sort of fun labelling and removing wires and hoses and such. I don't know if this was a particularly easy removal because the engine was out just 10,000 miles ago, or if I'm just becoming easily amused in my old age. My girlfriend Sheila was been an awesome helper (tools and labelling materials always at hand), and she's the one that ran the jack to let the engine down out of the chassis. Maybe that's why this job has been easier than I remember from the '72 bus. (Or maybe it's the above-the-engine hatch on the '80 instead of the reach-way-in-from-the-back hatch on the '72.)

Enough rambling!

Anyway, if you know of a place to get a rollabout engine stand for a late bus engine, in the San Francisco area, please let me know right away. Thanks.

Dennis