Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 1996 04:53:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:         David Raistrick <xi8940@freenet.tlh.fl.us>
Subject:      A 72? kombi, i may obtain..

yesterday...no...day before, me and a friend whent to look at a "bus" that we were told was free.. we were also told not to touch the ambulance. unfortunatly, it was a Caddy amulance instead...the ol' ghostbuster machine..

anyhow, i think the bus was a 72, since it had the T4 motor, one piece tailights, and no access hatch from above... btw, it was sitting behind a funeral home. with '83 plates on it. and. and. LITCHEN <sp?> growing on it!!

oil was old, but smelt ok, and still slick. 4 flat tires, physically, in much better shape than my 75, the engine had the duals on it, and a header exhaust.

later the owner said that the enigne "was replaced with the bigger one". sorry, no numbers yet, but should see again today or so. owner says it was parked because, "the engine would run, but it didnt seem to go anywhere."

hmm...sound like a symptom on a slipping clutch. either maladjusted, or maybe the front oil seal leaking a li'l to much..<both porblems i am quite familier with> i am currently kicking myself for not looking under the enigne for leaks, and oilsign. oh well.

it shifted a little tough, but noit bad. real ol oil. gas pedal stuck, till i pulled it back up. all glas is there, and good except for crack on right side of front window..:(

owner then said that we should "make an offer", but we are not, were not, and prolly will not be in such a possition to make an offer, since we got no money. and 3 broke cars. and no damn job, or house...but thats a dfferent story alltogethor.

second on the list of "if we can come up with 700 or maybe 600$ for both" is, i regret to say, a american car. a 1973...can i say this here? of course, we have all had dreams of such, who hasnt, but i'd prefer a 60's model, Cadillac HEARSE. he wants more than the offered 500 from another guy, and will toss the bus in free. slight surfac rust, rollers and all.

suposadly has a "real big engine..like a 500 or something" <my more american knowledgeable friend looked at it and said it was probably a 4sumthin <475?> with larger cut heads... or sum such. i wanna drive the hearse, but i WANT the bus.

if it does run, i will try to drag my battery and a can of gas out there before p/u and see if it really does run.i hope so, cause i need an engine..:)

of course, we still hope to get it for free, or REAL cheap...of course, i'm seriously considering selling of my pro audio equipment <that i swore i would never get rid of> and get a decent bus...oh well...i just need a damn car! and hoiuse and more...but still...

!......................... The not so Keen one xi8940@freenet.fsu.edu .........................! \\ // http://www.armory.com/~y21cvb ^\\ \XX/ //^ '68 Beetle Links to a few pics of my VW's \\//\\// '74 Super \/ \/ '75 Rusty Westy-Canadian Model

y21cvb@armory.com xi8940@freenet.fsu.edu lorn@armory.com jg8bt@cyberspace.org chantry-raistrick@csra.net 76004.3235@compuserve.com