Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:47:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Bob Polys <bpolys@sky.net>
Subject:      The Beck Spyder and Fuel/Air meter question

Hello all, The humidity is climbing outside with overnight temps near 80 and the daytime highs in the 90's. Bob H. has left for dryer climes. The engine Bob created is on the engine test stand, which we assembled from scrap tubing that Bob brought with him.

The test stand is a bit unusual in that it allows the engine to be turned up side down:), and in that the exhaust tubing snakes out under the tranny (The Spyder has the engine in front of the transaxle). I promise to get some photos at my web site this week. We used the stand and engine as a fixture to add flanges to the Beck exhaust system. The 'stock Beck exhaust' arrived in a box the size of a motel fridge, but can now be placed in a soap dish (well I may be exagerating a bit). By the way, the four into one collector now is a heck of a musical instrument, looking a bit like a Dr. Suess creation..

As soon as I stone out the flange welds, the system will be shipped to be coated to keep these pieces usable for a long time.

The engine was run on the test stand probably half a dozen times. Each time neighbors were forewarned and small children were told to seek protection in a basement or culvert. Breathing through a pair of Weber 44IDE's and out through a relatively open exhaust at 6000rpm makes for a bit of racket. No truth in the rumor that vultures fell stunned from the sky;)

I want to be able to monitor fuel air mixture from the exhaust output. Since I am in Digest mode, I haven't been keeping up with all the threads on the V@L very well. But it seems as though their has been some discussion of adding an oxygen sensor in combination with a voltmeter to make a usable instrument. I would be interested in getting the details on how this is accomplished. I will need to add a lug for the oxygen sensor to the exhaust system before it is sent out to be coated.

_Any _ help would be appreciated. If this thread has been exhausted on the list, please accept my apologies and, please contact me directly. I am always behind in Digest mode.

Thanks,

Bob (not -Bob)