Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 09 Jul 1996 08:36:48
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      My bus parts Stolen!!

Just received word that 2 or more people gained access to where my 2 '63 parts busses were (along with several other splitties) and stripped them all.

The busses were behind an acquaintence's mother's house, way out in the middle of the woods, along with four other parts splitties that belonged to him. Apparently someone (who must have been there before, since you'd never find this place by chance) convinced his elderly mother that they know him, and proceeded to spend ALL DAY totally stripping every one of his and my busses. I mean EVERYTHING - they cut out metal corner panels, removed all glass, jacked up busses, removed bumpers, pulled steering wheels, etc. Took everything but engines and trannies. These people clearly had splitties and were in the splittie parts business. They knew just what to take.

My friend lost a ton of stuff. A couple of his busses were still relatively complete. I was luckier, in that I had already removed about 80% of what I needed from my '63's. However, both had almost mint steering wheels which I had been so far unable to remove. The thieves took one and destroyed the other trying to remove it. They also took all of the glass (except for the corner windows, which I had removed), destroyed a mint door panel trying to remove the window channel, chiseled out body parts, etc. etc.

This is a real letdown because much of what was taken was to go in my running '63 deluxe. I am unlikely to find another '63 parts bus in this area. Moreover, I am furious because the thieves were clearly VW "enthusiasts." I know my parts will turn up at the local VW swap meets, etc., but it will be impossible to tell or prove if they are mine.

This is the second time that a VW bus owner has stolen parts from my '63. Once before, when a local VW shop had my bus overnight, someone opened the then-unlockable door and removed one jailbar, a turn signal lever, two jailbar mounts, an ambulance fan, etc. etc. One jailbar? Come on! Tell me this guy wasn't taking parts that he needed on his own pre-64 Deluxe! Somehow, I take that more personally than if the thief were just a generic "car thief." You meet so many fellow VW enthusiasts who are really nice people, that you tend to forget that there are scum among any crowd.

I tend to be a trusting person. But now I find myself thinking of the relatively few people who knew where these busses were, and wondering which of them might have stolen from me, or passed the location on to a cohort who stole from me. It's not a good feeling knowing that there is a thief in your midst.

Anyway, on the outside chance that anyone here on the east coast hears of someone who suddenly came into a ton of splittie parts to sell, under unknown circumstances, please let me know.

Oh well, easy come, easy go, I guess...

Ron Salmon