Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 1996 11:09:40 -0700
From:         becks@blis.uthscsa.edu (Susan Beck)
Subject:      '91 pricing advice needed

Dear Vanagon folks, My name is Susan and I signed on to this list in order to ask for some advice. After reading your postings for a couple of days, I'm convinced that this is the right place to come--you guys really know your stuff. I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge represented here, especially considering that I personally am seriously, well...automotively challenged. Anyway, I'm throwing myself on your collective mercy and I hope you don't mind giving me the benefit of your wisdom.

A casualty of divorce, my 1991 Vanagon Carat has got to go, I've just about decided. My son is 16 and just learning to drive, and finds a manual transmission/van combination completely daunting to contemplate learning on; also, not being car-literate I'm afraid that I need to get something newer and under warranty (I'm thinking about a Jetta, BTW). In addition, money is now tighter, post-divorce, and something with a little more fuel economy is also desirable. I love my van, but I don't really need that much room anymore, and this seems to be my best option.

So, my question is this: if I trade it in or sell it outright, how much can I expect to get for it? I don't even know ballpark here, I'm that clueless. I know there are all sorts of variables, but I don't even know what they are. It has 101,000 miles on it, has never been in an accident, runs great. It has power windows/locks/mirrors, and cruise control. The AC doesn't work right now, and it would have cost me $130 that I don't have to find out why, so I don't use it. There is some kind of slow coolant leak that the VW Service Dept. says I can leave alone for a while, but will eventually have to be fixed. Other than that, the driver's window motor is broken (window is closed), but that's about it for the negatives.

See, I told you I was clueless. I would greatly appreciate any advice you all may have, and if there is info I haven't included, ask, but be gentle, and remember not to get too technical ;-).

Thanks so much.

Susan in San Antonio

Susan Beck Head, Acquisitions, Bindery, and Cataloging University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio 7703 Floyd Curl Dr. San Antonio, Texas 78284-7940 becks@uthscsa.edu