Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:18:34 -0400
From:         UTORInfoCommons <michael.heron@utoronto.ca>
Subject:      Re: rust in air intake louvres '71

Steve,

I think you have found one of the most inaccessible spots on the bus! Right up there with the belly pan on the inside of the sunroof bus.

>From what i can recall those "intake vents" are vertically vented down into the engine compartment. It might be advantageous to try and access them via the engine compartment route, although a few lessons in hatha yoga and having the ability of a mongolian contorshonist (sp?) might be in order to do this. The other option to derust htta area might be to use a very abrasive 3M scouring pad attached to a long stick that is thin enough to allow you to manouver in that area. Regardless it is a pain in the butt ot get into that area and sand blasting might be the easiest route. Suffice to say that thos vents are connected to the engine comparment so i whatever crap is sucked, dropped etc . in there will evetually make it's way into the engine comparnment.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of a 1971 would be better able to comment.

m. > > I'm going to do some rust-busting soon on my '71 bus. Inspecting the > vehicle, I found rust spots on the *inside* of the air intake louvres. Now, > before applying anti-rust stuff, you have to wash the area and wire-brush > the rust away. How can I do that in this location? Can I safely hose down > the inside of these louvres? Where will all the rust flakes and general crap > and water go? Won't it all get sucked into somewhere it shouldn't be? > > If anyone has dealt with rust in this esoteric location, I'd appreciate any > advice. > > Thanks. > > -Steve Tokar >