Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jul 1996 15:28:23 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      re: Serious Plea for help

Erik, There's nothing wrong with having an old car, especially old VW, hobby, but be good to yourself and your hobby. THREE cars that don't work isn't a hobby, its a job. Your heart may be bigger than your tool box. You may not have time to keep three old cars working, AND make an income, AND maintain the social relations you value.

Some people (you know who you are) can handle three, five, twelve old cars in the garage no problem. Some people have skills, money, friends, suppliers and even perhaps a job and family which supports and enables them to devote hours every day to old cars.

Some people, such as myself, and perhaps you, don't have these things.

Whomever who suggested getting the Muir "Idiot" book, getting one to work, etc. has their finger on it. Plan for success. Focus on a specific goal. Get one car running, then drivable. Start with the one where you have the highest probability of success. Don't fiddle with the other ones. Stay focused on getting that car to start, run, and be useful.

Tell people here what you've tried and how it worked. Ask friends to help. But above all, put a limit on it- DON'T spend every waking moment of your life. Stop at 8:00 and have a shower, and a beer. Watch TV. Make a phone call, read a book, visit a friend. BALANCE, yes?

IT MAY TAKE A LONG TIME. A *surprisingly* long time. I thought putting an engine in my 'glider' single-cab would take a month of spare time. It took 14 months of spare time, and a lot more work than I imagined. It cost twice what I expected. And you can believe I'm happy I didn't have two more to do right after that!

When you get one of your fleet running and driving daily, then you are in a much better position to decide if you want to repeat the process with the other two. You may want to. You may want to sell them instead. There is no loss of honor in realizing a project is beyond you. There will always be another old VW to work on.

Take it one day at a time. Let us know how you're doing.