Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 09 Jul 1996 21:29:05
From:         EXPRES@gnn.com (RON SALMON)
Subject:      Re: Tents (Pros and Cons of designs) (long)

>To all Vanagon owners who like to camp: >I am designing and building tents to fit the Vanagon & Bus and >would like your serious feedback. If there is enough interest, >these tents will be manufactured and for sale via the internet and >by direct sales. The first prototype is near completion for a rear >platform tent designed for the Vanagon and field testing starts >later this month. I am also working on a design for the sliding >door. Both will be light weight, free- standing, easy to set-up & >stow, bug-proof, and waterproof. > >What I need from all of you dedicated Vanagon & Bus owners is all >of the pros & cons of the original tents of the 60's & 70's and a >wish-list of features you would like to have in your tent. Also, >tell me at what price range you would suggest these tents to sell. > >Thanks for your response! > >Keith Ovregaard >

I had an original Westfalia tent for a Bus, and now have a German aftermarket tent for the Vanagon.

The Westfalia tent hangs up underneath the frame by way of rubber hooks, so once you build the frame one person can easily attatch the tent to it. This design is very good. The Vanagon tent has to be hoisted up over the frame once the frame is built. This is much more difficult to do without assistance. Also, the Vanagon tent lacks a floor, which is a definate negative.

On the other hand, the frame for the Vanagon tent is easier to assemble. All of the poles are permanantly attached to eachother by way of a long spring going through the poles. You just slip the poles into eachother to assemble the frame. Because they are attached even when stored, assembly is quick and foolproof. (It is impossible to assemble them incorrectly.) With the Westfalia tent, when unassembled you have a big bag of loose poles and have to figure out which goes where and search for the correct pole.

The Vanagon tent also attaches to the van's rain gutter more easily. There is a pocket sewn in the canvas along the length of the piece that attaches to the rain gutter. Into this pocket you slip a long pole. This pole (with the tent now attached) then rests in the rain gutter, and three clamps are used to hold it firmly. The clamps are similar in shape to those that might be used to hold a bicycle horn or other accessory to the handlebars. By comparison, the Westfalia tent uses a rubber moulding that must be slipped onto the rain gutter, starting at the front, and then slid down to the back until the entire moulding is slid onto the rain gutter. You must push it on a little at a time, and then either move the bus forewards or the tent backwards and push a little more of it on. It is a much more time consuming task, and is even worse if there is any rust on the rain gutter (or if there is plastic trim on the rain gutter, like many Vanagons have).

Neither tent fits tightly along the bottom of the van (below the sliding door). The gap allows bugs in, and makes it possible to trip on the canvas (and rip it) while exiting the van. If the tent were sized properly, perhaps two small pockets could be sewn into the bottom flap, then fitted with two small poles that also attach to the jackpoints of the van, thus holding the tent snugly to the van.

As far as price goes, it would have to be somewhat under $1000, and equal in quality to the one I have (thick canvas, strong but lightweight poles), to interest me. I believe that the Vanagon tent sold in Germany for about that range. A used Bus tent in very good condition can be had for $400 or $500.

Good luck! Let us know when you have your tents ready for sale!

Ron Salmon