Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:29:50 +0200
From:         wrm@ccii.co.za (Wouter de Waal)
Subject:      Re: VW Customer Relations & reality check

Hi all

So William sez:

>whatever. If you want owning a VW to be easy and cheap, move to >Germany.

And Joel replies:

>.. now, if only South Africa would start making Left-hand-drive models >and shipping them over here!!! ;)

William: Move to South Africa. Germany is definitely _not_ cheap, and old VWs are even more unpopular there that they are in the US. Because, if you can take an old car off the road, you can sell a new one. And if you can convince the public that it's a good idea (i.e. we're taking all these polluting cars off the road (by polluting while making the replacement cars) or use electric cars to cut down on polution (and burn coal somewhere else)) you really have it made.

Now over here, cars are a _lot_ more expensive than over there, if you figure typical salaries & taxes. But no smog test :-) And no cup holders in cars, and not many auto boxes for that matter. The typical American has grown to accept a helluva lot of 'extras' included in the basic price. For example warranties - the UK has basic warranties, US has 5 year full warranties or something, and the vehicle is cheaper in the US as well. (This is for Land Rovers, ISTR)

So if you like T3 Vanagons, move over here. You can still buy them new @$20K, +-, and you can even get _round headlights_ :-) (You can buy square grills & lights aftermarket)

Joel: There is no way that we'll even think of going to the trouble of all the emission SH*T to export Vanagons. Not to mention that it'll be way expensive. Especially with the 'options' like PS and AC which are pretty standard around your neck o' the woods. Remember, they're _your_ EPA/DOT/whatnot criteria, what's good for the company is good for you :-)

CU

Wouter -- Wouter de Waal Phone : +27 21 683 5490 Development Engineer Fax : +27 21 683 5435 CCII Systems Kenilworth, South Africa