Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:11:23 -0800
From:         Glen Buhlmann <gbuhlman@direct.ca>
Subject:      Quebec Separation (was Re: Firearms and Inuvik?)

Ron Lussier wrote: > > I realize that this is *way* off topic, but I never understood why the > Canadian government was so opposed to recognizing Quebec as having a unique > culture. It seemed like a reasonable thing to do. > > Ron > > P.S. I'm descendant from the French canadian diaspora (the Rhode Island > cajuns.) > --

Well it's not so much that we don't want to recognize them as a unique culture. It's just the power that they want to go along with it. Quebec IS a unique culture. There is no way anyone can say that Montreal and Toronto are the same culture. The problem is that the rest of Canada does not want to give up the governmental power that Quebec wants. You see there is also no way that anyone can say that Vancouver and Toronto are the same culture (not a put down to Toronto Michael - we're not better, just different). You see there are lots of issues here. Quebec wants everyplace in Canada to require bilingual everything (street signs, business signs) but they want it to be illegal to have any English on business signs in Quebec. Now this is a huge problem in places like Vancouver. There are about 20000 times more people that speak Cantonese and/or Mandarin here than French. So of course we're going to get a little upset that we would have to pay extra taxes to make all street signs French when there is such a small population of French speaking people here. And if Quebec got the governmental power they wnated then this would be the least of the problems facing non-French speaking Canadians.

It's a real complex issue and I haven't even scratched the surface of all the concerns of all the different groups invloved (First Nations in Quebec voted overwhelmingly not to separate with Quebec -- they have land claims that cover about 80% of the province which would need to be resolved by the federal government before any new international border could be drawn).

-- +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Glen Buhlmann | "Saw it on the tube. Bought it on the phone. | | GB Computer Consulting | Now I'm home alone with a piece of crap." | | Vancouver, BC | --Neil Young | | '77 VW Westfalia | | +------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+ | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/5288/ | +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+