Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:41:46 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Flywheel replacement/wear, Bay Area EV market

The 67 Corvair Monza (another european race GM never entered...) I bought for $0.02 had a bad engine, which stopped at the same point every time... the one cylinder with more than 100 psi compression... suffice to say, the ring gear around the torque converter (yep, AT too...) got trashed where it and the Bendix gear met. It took six weeks for GM to fill my order for a new torque converter- I should have tried rotating it the 90 or 120 degrees the bolt pattern would allow, then I would have known the engine was no good. I sold it for $200, with a new torque converter and the engine no better than when I started- I'd run out of time and money. But percentage wise, this was the best automotive investment I ever made. I think the $200 was actually MORE than I had spent on the car, parts and dinner for my friends at Dennys!

Once we get the house sold, new one bought, etc, I think I'm going to be in the market for a used EV- plain, not camper. Jean's pregnant - Jan 30 due date. :) We don't have to have something bigger than the Corrado, single-cab or Toyota 'roller to bring the baby home in, but I think there's a family size vehicle in our future in the next year!

For budgeting purposes, I'm interested in what used EVs, plain, not campers, are going for in the Bay Area.

Happy motoring! Bill