Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         10 Jul 1996 11:18:10 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      My correspondence with VW C

Following is what I sent VW and their very responsive (customer sensitive) reply. The nature of response was not unanticipated - "thank you for your input, but we are doing what we want regardless. . . ." ---------------- To: Michelina Lauriola Maenza Volkswagen Customer Relations

Asghar Bhatti shared your e-mail response of 9 July, '96 regarding the availability of Volkswagen Transporter vehicles in the US.

I would like to add that it is really unfortunate that Volkswagen has discontinued Transporter (Vanagon) sales in the United States. I have driven a 1982 diesel Vanagon since new and have found it an ideal and versatile vehicle for my large family of 7. I would love to replace it with a new Vanagon because full sized US vans are too large to garage and too fuel inefficient. The Vanagon not only fits in a standard garage, and gets great (diesel) or good(gas) fuel economy, but it also carries my large family and simultaneously useful amounts of luggage. This is important because the two youngest children (ages 3.5 and 4.5) are "special needs" children we have adopted and come with wheelchairs, and assorted special portable medical equipment that we need to transport wherever they go. The Vanagon swallows all this and more without a problem. It also swallows standard 4x8 foot panels, 12 and 14 foot beams, and other home maintenance/building materials without problem or having to relocate or remove seats.

Current "minivan" choices, including Volkswagen Eurovan models do not have comparable simultaneous cargo and passenger capacity compared to Vanagon/Transporter vehicles. I decline to buy a used water-cooled Vanagon because of the problems associated with what I consider an engine design flaw, specifically cylinder head coolant leaks.

If Volkswagen would offer a Transporter/Vanagon chassis with a 4 cylinder "GTI engine or VR6 engine or similar design, with properly matched 5 speed transaxel I think I would buy it in an instant. I understand such vehicles are available in Europe or South Africa. The current Vanagon is 13 years old, 167,000+ miles (2nd engine after 112,000 miles) and has only "failed" 4 times, two of which were related to a failed/old batteries and the other two related to the clutch slave cylinder. I have serious concerns that any replacement vehicle will match that demonstrated reliability.

Because of the age and miles on my current Vanagon, at my wife's urging (who is the primary driver of this vehicle) we are starting to search for a replacement vehicle at the end of this year or early next year. We are not all that enthused about what is currently available on the US market. They are perhaps more sophisticated and luxurious vehicles, but none combine the simultaneous passenger and cargo capacity of our current Vanagon.

Sincerely, Harvey Chao ------------------------------------- --- Erhalten von V.KDHILFE/LAURIOLA +49-5361-926* 10.07.96 14.04

-> IBMMAIL.INTERNET IBM MAIL EXCHANGE ADRESSE

Dear Mr. Chao,

Thank you for your further comprehensive e-mail.

We understand your thoughts, but once again like to request you to remain in contact with Volkswagen United States, whose address we have given you previously.

One reason for this request is that they are responsible for the sale of Volkswagen vehicles in the United States - as we already mentioned - , the other reason is that we cannot answer your inquiries during the following weeks because of our annual factory close down for the summer holidays.

Thank you for your understandingU

Yours sincerely,

Michelina Lauriola Maenza Volkswagen Customer Relations