Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:51:41 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright" <SW@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Go with the split - hang on a second...!

> Air-cooled's are still in production. Advances, improvements are continually > being made. My 1965 bus runs better than it did when new. > > Water-cooled's are orphans, not even supported by VW any longer, save in the > peripheral sense. Valient efforts by a few to keep them alive thru engine > transplants generally get short shrift from their peers. > > Over the last couple of years of Vanagon list activity I've gained a strong > impression that the typical owner of a water-cooled VW van is not only less > mechanically adept than air-cooled owners, they seen less willing to acquire > the skills and invest in the tools that would keep their orphaned vehicles > alive, a failure of spirit -- or Fear of Grease -- that virtually assures > such machines will end up on the junk heap. > I must say I'm a bit surprised by your black and white summary of things, Bob. I agree the average waterbox owner may be less adept mechanically than the average airbox owner. But I don't believe many of those waterboxers on the list fall into the 'average' category, myself included. If they've taken the interest to find out about VWs on the net, and join in the voluminous discussions, then they are likely the type who prefers to do their own work and takes pride in learning things along the way.

By condemning w/b owners as you have, and recommending they be kept separate from those with the 'spirit', I feel you are creating an unnecessary rift between the groups of owners, assuming such groups exist in the first place.

Look at it this way:

600+ list members, right? -subtract those currently owning a vehicle from both 'groups' -subtract those who at one time owned an a/c, but now own a w/b (did they lose the spirit..?) -subtract those who now own a w/b, and plan to own an a/c someday (myself included :) -subtract those wannabussers who joined the list to gain valuable insight on both w/b & a/c buses (which I used to be)

What do you have left? My guess is not many people.

I am a waterbox owner. I *never* let anyone work on my vehicles if I can help it. This includes several engine swaps, clutch rebuilds, shocks, brakes, etc. I plan to keep my '85 Jetta away from a scrap yard as long as possible - sure I'd love to drive a '56 to work every day, but I drive 120km/day over a steep curvy mountain road which is better suited to the Jetta, which does nicely and gets 55-60 mpg as well. I figure the money I save in fuel on the Jetta can go towards my 'projects', which I hope to include a 71 bus soon.

So do I not have the spirit, simply 'cause I own a w/b? I think not. It's not my fault that a/c vws are at a premium around here. But I will continue my search for bus(es), yard space and spousal acceptance allowing...

You speak of failure of spirit, well the spirit I have come to know and love on this list is one of helping others with a common love of VWs. It seems to me that your spirit in this area may have failed you, briefly I hope.

Shawn '88 Westy 332k (Kyra) '85 Jetta TD 350k (Jenni)