Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jul 1996 20:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "A Brandy Psmythe" <brandys@ichips.intel.com>
Subject:      Met a List MMember & bought an engine

Hi all,

Well, last week I had the good fortune to meet list members Gene and Michelle (mizamook) who reside in the vacation capital of the world (at least that is what the sign said upon entering their fair town) in Northernish California. What a nice evening it was. Michelle and Gene couldn't be a nicer couple, and they sure know how to make a road weary (read brain fried from the driving and heat all day) feel welcome and refreshed. They are a couple of real good souls I feel fortunate to have run into. Makes me feel good to a member of the human race when I meet nice people like that!

So, I drove about 13 hours from Portland Oregon to say hello, and buy about 90% of a 1700cc engine, that had already been dismantled (by Michelle's father?). The onle major parts that appear to be missing is one of the carbs and the muffler. But the other carb looks great, as well as three camshafts, 2 sets of heat exchangers, a couple fuel pumps, a couple fly wheels and three clutch pressure plates. I still have yet to go through all the boxes of stuff.

I've never torn down an engine before, so all these parts are pretty mind boggling! But I've got the bentley and the idiots guide, and I checked out the haynes manual as well as a chilton manual from the library. So I am reading up, trying to figure out how to inspect all the parts to see which peices to use, which ones to toss (if any), and hopefully by next summer I'll have rebuilt an engine! It'd be nice if it didn't take that long, but chances are...:)

Well all, just thought I'd share that with you all, its nice to see a face on the otherside of the list, lots of fun. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

take care, brandy

-- \ / A. Brandy pSmythe (brandys@ichips.intel.com) \ / (503)264-4239 Pole:JF1-E18 \ X / Intel Corp MD6 networks \ / \ / **************************************** \/ \/ ***"EVERYTHING IS BETTER IN THE BUS!"*** 1973 CAMPER ****************************************