Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 1996 00:13:03 -0500
From:         bighouse@socomm.net (Ken Hooper)
Subject:      Hoo boy. The list doth split...

Addressing misconceptions and solar flares:

1. Bandwidth. The split had to happen sooner or later because v@l is so popular that its very existence is threatened. It's happening now. Despite our gratitude to the long-suffering University of Minnesota, the tolerance of that august institution for supporting hitch hikers is finite, and my understanding is that it was basically split or die. It's splitting.

2. Community. We aren't moving to another country, people. It's just that we, the airheads, are getting our own room down the hall. There is no reason you can't subscribe to both lists if you like. And there's no reason you can't cross-post to both lists if the content is appropriate for that.

v@l is a phenomenon, this nobody candy nigh. ;) But there's no reason we must lose anything we've gained. We're simply sending engine-specific messages to an engine-specific place. We're keeping the Lore, but we're making the Procedure a little more refined. This is important to me: v@l and type2 are symbiotic. Each will be a better resource for it. Splitting will make the signal-to-noise ratio better while simultaneously making the mail load less burdensome for all concerned, even while sacrificing little or nothing.

3. Logistics. I want to emphasize that unless you end up subscribed to the wrong list, no action is required on your part. The list that's appropriate for you should start coming to you seamlessly.

Here is the posting address for the aircooled list, to which you should send public messages:

type2@primenet.com

Here is the automated address for the aircooled list, to which you should send commands (such as "subscribe type2" and "usubscribe type2" and "who type2"):

type2-request@primenet.com

Here is the automated address for the digest version:

type2-digest-request@primenet.com

The server thinks of the digest as an entirely different list from the real-time list. If you want to change from real-time to digest, unsubscribe from the one and subscribe to the other.

*************************************************************************** Again, do not fool with any of this yet; it's just here so you'll have it if you need it. I have had people trying to subscribe already; don't do it--we'll do it for you. Only mess with this if Gerry and I and Joel screw up somehow. ***************************************************************************

Here is my own human address, in case you have really tried hard but just can't figure it out:

bighouse@socomm.net

--Ken 68 Westy, 71 Bus