Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 96  08:57:09 EDT
From:         "Timothy D.F. Maddox" <TDMADD01@ulkyvm.louisville.edu>
Subject:      69-96 RIP, need advice on burned up engine

*** Resending note of 07/11/96 08:53 To: TDMADD01--ULKYVM

>From: Timothy D.F. Maddox

I purchased a 1776 from Strictly Foreign. One of the reasons was because of they had a warranty. Had the engine less than a weak and it caught on fire, my 69 camper is now gone. Sunday night it went up in flames. Now I am trying to decide how to respond to Strickly Foreign. Here's the skinny--I spent more than $2,300 at Strickly Foreign--new Kadrons, alternator kit, exaust, full flow pump, etc. It wasn't until the deal was set and I was waiting for the engine that I recieved a letter saying that the engine warranty was valid only if I had a "proffessional" put it in, and they had to sign off, including the 300 mile tune up and the 1000 mile tune up. Well, who here goes to someone else to do our job? I may never have worked on an engine this high powered, but I have had more than 20 years on 1600 & 1500s with solex carbs. Anyway, I needed the engine for the 4th holiday and was not set up to get my bus to someone to put it in. I put it in, with the greatest of care, lots of hose clamps on fuel lines, etc. We took of for our 1000mile plus round trip. Took the easy way one the way, stopped in a town at 300miles, waited for the engine to cool completely--ate, shopped, then a valve adjust and oil change. --I had been having some oil loss and firued it must be the new steel hoses from Berg I put on for the filter, couldn't locate enough green loctite. As a result I stopped often, to check the oil. Also I had vdo head temp gauge--rand a consitent 350, and oil pressure guage, ran a consitent 48. Went slow on the way. After I arived did another valve ajust. On the way back I finally figured out that the oil leak was the valve cover, the wire was lose and on the side of the road I had to change the gasket and bend the wire to make it tighter. After 1000 mile I went faster, Stickly Foreign said 65 75, I ran 65 except when going down hill, then 70. Got back to Louisville, just pulled of the Interstate and less than two miles form home when the engine sputered, for the first time, and my wife turned and saw smoke. Well, my wife, two kids, a black lab, and myself are all unhurt, but we lost the bus and all our contents. Insurance didn't cover fire. I don't know what caused the fire. One guess is all the oil I lost and was on the engine? Possible? So what do you think of the engine warranty? Does Stickly Foreign owe anything in this. I must say, they never mentioned on the phone about the conditions of the warranty and were giving advice all along on how to do thing myself. I haven't talked with them about their responsibilities yet, was hoping for some advice here. Todate they have been great, but we all know how quickly that can turn. So I was hoping for some support from all of you before going to Dan at Strickly Foreign.

Thanks,

Tim--Woodstock, 1969-1996 RIP