Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 96  10:50:11 EDT
From:         <BSNICH01@ulkyvm.louisville.edu>
Subject:      The Split, the Rift, The Splits, The Bricks

I just wanted to make some comments about the split, some attitudes, and options.

First, I am a waterboxer owner (or it owns me!). I have an 85 Westy. I may be one of those dismissed by a recent post as not being a proficient mechanic. The fact is, I do not know anyone in my area who DOES work on their cars. The Bently manual isn't as informative as say, a Haynes manual. I consider it the Bently Cryptography. I didn't grow up around cars. I spent most of my junior high and high school years in Europe. My senior year in high school was here in the US. It is usually during these years that many folks get into autos. I didn't have a driver's license until I was almost 21! I am one who pays to have others work on my van...but I hate every damn minute of it. There are a number of things I'd like to do but can't . One problem is that being a graduate student with 2 jobs and a marriage leaves little time to "tinker". The other is one of a knowledge vacuum. Who a m I to ask about a vehicle that most here haven't worked on? Many times I come here, a bus event, etc. I'd WELCOME the chance to get dirty with folks in my area who are good mechanics. Does this make me less a VW lover? No. I love ALL VWs. In particular, when I go to a bus event, I look at ALL years. One thing that has been great about b us groups and events is that the snobbery that seems present in some of the lar ger Bug-predominated events, is absent. This may be an air vs. water issue sin ce that has played out on the usenet...in my opinion much to the detriment of b oth newly formed groups.

Traffic: Yes, the list traffic is MASSIVE. I've been here since the start. I n the beginning I was a more regular poster. Then it got really busy...at firs t mainly from rather off-topic chatter. I too liked the "family" feel but the list got too big for it within the confines of a listserv. Gerry's done a fantastic job. Unfortunately, the traffic forced me to be more of a lurker for the last year. On average, I am able to read MAYBE 5% of the daily traffic. I miss out on much discussion. Of that I'm able to read , much of it is joking and such w/the followup posts not having a changed subje ct header. If you have limited time, this further limits your ability to follo see thread. So, yes...the list has become quite large.

Solutions:

I don't care for a list split. It isn't my call, and I do none of the work to keep it running but it's a shame we have to further disintigrate. I do believe that those who get onto both groups would see the traffic increased by the cro ssposting, etc. Hence, this is not an option for me and I'll be forced to choo se one camp over the other. A choice I wish I didn't have to make because I ha ve friends in both camps, I value the discussion in both, and hope to be buying a bread loaf to go with my brick.

The question of a newsgroup has been knocked around and gutted many times. Man y arguments centered around the sense of community that the listserv provided. We are now faced with half the population of our community migrating. My apol ogies to Gerry but I would favor the creation of a newsgroup (moderated?) in or der to keep us together. This would make the traffic infinately more manageabl e and allow us to remain together. This coupled with judicious use of good sub ject headers would seemingly be a viable option. This would also allow for the personal banter and joking that many of us would like to retain as well. I kn ow that this is heresey but what is the option? Splintering. I would hate to