Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 1996 12:01:57 -0400
From:         Eddiehintz@aol.com
Subject:      Trip Report: Inuviking the Bus

Hey now, It's been a busy couple of days. We arrived in LA on Sun. evening, and Monday morning I went junkyard hunting for a Westy camper interior while Sam visited friends. I found a pretty complete '74 Westy, pulled the interior, took it back to my grandparents house and installed it. Lots of work, but we now have a nicer camping interior. So, we finally hit Victorville on Tuesday. It is now Wednesday evening, and much has happend to our bus. New front wheel bearings, all 4 drums turned, brakes adjusted, alternator installed, KYB white shocks on the front, 1 new CV boot, a new tranny, and flanges welded onto the exaust to replace those annoying clamps that VW used. A temp guage was planned, but no sender units were in stock, so that'll have to wait. All said, I feel like the bus is better prepared to take on Canada. One thing I learned while I worked aside "real" mechanics, I'm slow. But, I had to keep consulting Sir Bentely, so that's part of it. I'm also pretty inefficent, since I don't do this for a living. Many thanks to my friend Darryl at Meredith Auto in Victorville, for his help, use of his shop, and decent parts prices. Good company too, we used to tour Dead shows in his '66 bus. Sure do miss all those shows. So, that's about it for now, tomorrow I'll finish up on the bus, then we'll head for Sequia and Kings Canyon Nat. Parks, so no trip reports will be sent for the next few days. See y'all on the road... Peace, Eddie