Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:48:28 -0700
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Re: Go with the split

I tend to agree with Bob's conclusions but not this time- The best wrench I know (my brother) drives and services a waterboxer Vanagon It is easier to find airheads :) who are experienced and enthusiastic mechanics than waterheads. Price of entry for the T3 enthusiast is significantly higher than T2 or T1, and aftermarket support it thinner. Mistakes cost more and are less likely to be risked. On the other hand, welding isn't on the summer maintenance list of the average T3. They're 10-25 YEARS younger than the loaves and splits. They still have original paint and interiors. They still have significant resale value to non-enthusiasts. They don't need replacement fiddly bits for the brake system.

HEY JOEL! Keep the Weakly Stats combined, and note how many and what they drive are either separated list, or both? What do you say?

Granted, the waterboxer is not a paragon of mechanical virtue, lasting only 30%-100% longer than a typical aircooled motor while making only 25%-50% MORE power. Oh, the defect? Waterboxers are expensive to own and maintain, and truely are orphaned. (though isn't the T3 still made in South Africa, with inline motors?) But if I can't find or can't afford an EV/T4 next year, I'll probably buy a waterboxer T3 for those whom are dearest to me.

VWoA HAS orphaned the EV, in the USA, but the rest of the world has 'em and I know, from personal experience, that water cooled inline motors aren't significantly harder to work on than flat aircooled. I'll put up the inline 1600, with K-Jet or later, what the Mexicans put in T2s, as VWs best motor of all time. Alas, but for DOT and the Big Nannies, I could have one.

Go drive a 6.7l turbo diesel GMC pickup, or a Chrysler Voyager, or a Chevy Astro van. Look under the hood. Look at how its screwed together. Talk to the owners. T1-4 still have more in common than not. The only FWD watercooled van owners I know who do their own maintenance drive, surprise, Eurovans. Personally, I think the watercooled community will miss voices like Bob's, and will know that they miss them.