Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:52:08 -0800
From:         tbf@pacifier.com (Todd Francis)
Subject:      Re: open your eyes - EPA Danger

Steve Remarked: Even the aftermarket would last, but for the fact that the EPA and the car >manufacturers already have put in place the means to remove our older >vehicles from the road. There in lies the real problem. Even rust won't >remove our beloved VWs from the road as fast as this huge lobby will. > >Hi-all: I've been wanting to broach this subject, but wasn't sure this was the right forum for this subject. But now that it's been mentioned, I'm going to dive in. Here in Vancouver, WA, we're fighting to stop the EPA and our local DOE from removing our older vehicles from the road. I don't think any of us would object to such a program if we really thought the issue was clean air. But here in Vancouver, where we've never had a pollution violation, the local authorities have in place a new test that will fail an ever greater number of car for emissions failures. We question the clean air agenda when the state insists upon the necessity of testing cars four years old and newer, when statistics show that out of 10,000 cars tested only 39 will fail. We question the clean air agenda when the state lets old failing cars continue to pollute by waiver if they will spend $150 in repair costs. And we really question the clean air agenda when the state insists on ever tougher regulations for cars in our area (remember: we have never had a pollution violation), but they allow a new propane generated power plant to be built in our area.

The agenda is not about clean air, but is instead about taking money from us and giving to specific big businesses, such as Envirotest--the car testing facilitators in almost all 50 states. The agenda is not about clean air, but about growing the size of regulatory agencies such as the EPA.

At our recent car testing hearing in Vancouver we asked the local Dept. of Ecology person: Who sets the standards for "clean air"? Her response was that she understood how we citizens felt the standard was too harsh, but that we needed to understand that on the other side were foundations, such as "The American Lung Association," who were suing the EPA for even tighter air quality control measures because they were concerned about health. It is interesting that the American Lung Association received a grant from the EPA for in excess of 4 million dollars. You don't suppose the EPA is buying the ALA's good reputation in order to make it look like the need for the EPA is ever greater? If you're interested, there's a great web-site on the ALA's and the EPA's combined activities with regard to more car testing: (see http://www.forces.org/pages/tom-ala.htm)

The bottom line here is that we must unite to fight these lobbying interests. My father fought and was almost killed in WWII doing what he thought would lead to a life of freedom for himself and his family. It is now our responsibility to take up the fight--thank God we don't need to bear arms. What we do need to do is pick up a pen and paper and write to our congressmen, our city council people, our county commissioners. Let them know we understand what is going on and we won't stand for it. If people don't wake up and take immediate action against this lobby, we will indeed lose our beloved old VW's--and they will not have been sacrificed for the cause of "Clean Air."

I cannot sit quietly by while the regulatory and big business interests decide the fate of my VW's. I will not give up without a fight.