Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 May 1996 22:20:59 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      Re: Generator to Alternator Conversion....

Scott Johnson asked about upgrading his old generator to an alternator. Just to keep it unbelievably simple Scott, ask your local alternator repair service about what would be a suitable candidate from the class of alternators often described as "single wire hookup." The only wire you run is from the output to the battery's positive terminal. Residual magnetism is enough to start the charging when you spin your motor, so it's "self exciting" and the built-in regulator prevents over-charging. I just replaced a Leece Neville alternator on one of my vehicles with a 100 amp double pulley Delco single wire hook up alternator. The rebuild shop can supply a plastic rain plug to block-off the unused (and unneeded) terminals, or if some high temp "silicon goo" makes you happy, either are common. Never, even for an instant, run your alternator with the charging terminal unloaded. It can easily destroy diodes in your diode trio. It may continue to "work" but at a compromised output, masking from those who do this "just for a moment while I change batteries," information about damage they just caused. This is taking unneeded chances. I was told that running lights and fans while making these exhanges lessens to chance of damage, but I don't know. Why'd I do it? This cost me about $150 and I was quoted $650 for the original. Leece Neville's are common on continuous duty class equipment that are often expected to run as well in their second million miles as in their first, like over-the-road buses.

John Wakefield