Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Jul 96 19:41:38 -0500
From:         "Randall Carpenter" <carpe003@maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Subject:      Bus is home

Greetings,

Well I finally got my '72 Westie home and in the garage. It's all orange with a very dirty tan top. So today I've been pouring over the thing, checking everything out (so why is it I didn't do that before hand? ;-) ).So here's the rundown. Chassis number 2322221612. The bus has almost no collision damage, just one very small ding on the very end of the front drivers side. The rust is confined to the rocker area on both sides. Unfortunately this is through and through on the passenger side as well which means the sliding door jumps the lower track and falls just as it is about to close. Her bottom looks sound and the jack points are still there and look usable (probably not by me though). The drivers side floor rusted through at one point and someone riveted a piece of sheet metal in. All in all the body looks very workable. The inside looks great. Everything looks stock and is complete. The canvas top and cot is sound but dirty. There is also a hammock type setup. I also have the snap on screen for the rear hatch and that looks brand new. I shouldn't have to do much at all to the inside. The engine is a different story. The original 1700 is long gone. In its place is a Beetle 1600 dual port junkyard engine (I assume from the rusted away heat exchangers). Number is AH161271. I assume it is older than '70 since it has a oil pressure control valve. The engine turns but I'm told has low compression. I'm planning a rebuild. So now....

The questions to the more knowledgeable or anyone with 2 cents.....

1. What do these chassis and engine numbers mean? They don't seem to match up with the numbers in Muir's book.

2. What is the best source for replacement body steel?

3. What is the best way to clean the canvas and the fiberglass?

4. The rear engine support bracket is gone. What are problems associated with not having this installed with a 1600 in a bus?

5. There is one of those add on oil filter/pumps and this engine. Comments?

Thanks

Like my Mama always told me, "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun." Randy Carpenter carpe003@maroon.tc.umn.edu '72 Westy